• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am I missing something?

•Cai•

Hi all, I'm currently in the 3rd week of my plants being submersed from a 8week dry start.
All has been well to date apart from I'm noticing some leaves on my tennellus going yellow and slightly see through. Also on the rotala bonsais new growth leaves are a light yellow/green.
DCC157BE-1EDA-4E5C-9500-D38538291866_zps5mvakawo.jpg
C927A2BF-7EAF-49EB-B419-5F80888950FB_zpsdlr3a7tl.jpg
F03A3103-8CF5-4DC2-8614-D88C7318D970_zpstg1j8puv.jpg
My tank is a 60litre Clearseal. I have a 24w full spectrum led strip light. My light to substrate Is about 28cm(12inchs)
I'm dosing full EI macro and micro. 5ml per day. Macro 3days, micro 3days.
I'm heavily injecting co2 at a 1unit ph drop at moment as I have no live fauna. Lights are on for 6hours and co2 also. Co2 comes on 2.5 hours before lights on.

Anyone got any ideas or tips?

Have you tried adding more co2?? no reason to aim for 1 ph drop when you have no fish, I would add more.

It could be the plant adjusting to submerged conditions. Someone with more know how will answer I'm sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't really want to increase co2 much more if I can help it as I want to add some livestock soon.
As for the flow distribution, the plants all sway in the flow throughout tank. The rotala higher up at back in direct flow is similar to this particular picture.
The varieties of crypts I have are ok. As is the hemianthus callitrichoides. My floating plants are booming into life with growth.
Everything is still growing fast, just with a lighter shade of foliage.
Can I be over dosing certain nutrients?
All the plants are nicely pearling at lights on and carry that on all through photoperiod mostly.
I'm carrying out 3 water changes a week still mind. A 80% and 2 50% changes as I'm trying to keep water nice and clean and safe from algae blooms during these early stages.
I did notice a light scum building on surface water. I moved my lolly pipe higher up towards surface to agitate water better. This only started since I've begun dosing.

I read andhave been told problem could be a trace toxicity problem. Any views on this?
Could I stop dosing micro and see what difference this would make?

D8E23B9E-3FF9-4749-939C-7F576A03CDDD_zps8u6d5xqv.png
A closer look at some of foliage I have throughout the tank on specifically rotala bonsai and my tennellus.
Also, on further investigation of plants I've noticed a certain curling on leaf edges of my Cryptocoryne lutea 'hobbit':
AA2900B4-EB2B-4DBA-A0F7-23A956AE10B6_zpszbqbcfuc.png

Your plant have gone from 400pmm C02 too 30pmm C02, there is only so much you can expect.
It sounds like you are doing everything right, you might be able to help the transition by upping the C02 for the next few days but I would keep up the standard EI dosing.
Many plants use a different leaf structure when completely submerged so expect to loose a lot of the present leafs but also expect to see new growth forming very soon. The main benefit of a dry start is to get a good root system established before the plants have to go through their transition.

@foxfish Ye I knew dry start was for bedding plants in so to speak. Root structure on rotala is extensive. I know that from moving the odd couple around. Will this still be an issue of plants adapting as they are growing new leaves that are very light green/yellow and some towards see through?
Cheers

Back