• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami Gloaming #4

Unfortunately I've had to change this again as flow was terrible with so much wood in the tank so have taken some out, cut a chunk off a piece I kept in and bought some more plants. Want to have more plants and rely less on hardscape for structure. Have taken advantage of Thegreenmachine having 20% off on their new website and ordered 3 bags of ada africana and 1 ada amazonia. I'll add one bag of africana to this now as substate is a bit thin on the ground and keep the other 2 for after I've moved and use them to cap old substrate. I'd add them all now but africana is messy to rescape with. The Amazonia will go to a future shrimp tank. CO2 is now on. I've scrubbed all the wood as is was covered in bba and hopefully the changes will keep it at bay. An air stone will come on every night too.
Not bad though, 4 bags of ada substrate for £90 :D A nice side effect of adding africana is the buffering down to ph5.5....

The Ada Africana arrived today (2weeks to deliver )
bb248180b9fb563039777a3d20950fde.jpg

Wood has been trimmed to take off any big bulky parts that block flow.
e425db100339f048fb7bdc40836c3a50.jpg

Next rocks in and then fill a couple of inches for planting crypts.
5427dea241c18d9edeffdd16b6c418bc.jpg

All planted up
c68a050a30d841b063149f53ce304e86.jpg

5b0b892ed1f203e9fd5fb840d1ab1fe2.jpg

b369321275b3416664624e41020434f9.jpg

My plastic lily
b9be97290c3eb0f5a8c8add3175e0576.jpg

I'd forgotten how much I like ada Africana. It is heavier than amazonia and plants up really well. The crystal clear water from getgo is nice too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looks niiiiice! I must have missed it, but where did you get your plastic lily from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you get your plastic lily from?
Ebay, hongkong seller. I like the inlet as it has an end cap I can take out and put a shrimp guard over so I doesn't get blocked.

Just realised I'll not need these as changing to jbl 1501e with bigger pipes :( so will put these on the 'for sale' page.

Last edited:
My jbl 1501e arrived today and it was interesting to read in the booklet that while the pump head is rated at 1400lph the expected flow is between 800-900lph when filtering through media and pipes. I'm so glad I went with the 1501 as with a lily outlet the flow seems perfect. I may have to tweek it a bit when the fish go back in but so far the leaves of most of my plants are gently waving. All did not go well though. Connected up the atomiser I got recently only to find there is a leak through a seam on the top so water is getting out. And I'd cut the pipe so couldn't take the atomiser off so it is gently dripping away :bored:. Will have to order more 16/22 tubing....don't think I'll bother with another atomiser though as everything seems to be against me having co2 and going proper low tech.

Going Low Tech - "Join the slow side" :D

It was more to combat bba but heyho, as Edvet said, as long as the fish are happy haha

I added 40 chili rasbora on friday only to think today 'where are they?' As I could only see 10ish. Initially I blamed my male betta simplex as he is the only one with a big enough gob to eat them.... Anyway decided to have a look in the external filter and there they were. Unfortunately a couple were dead and another few were inside the very coarse filter foam at the top. Needless to say, I now have foam over the filter intake.

Nothing like some tidily little fish to add scale to the tank. Have they made any difference to the Paros/Gourami?

I hadn't noticed how much the crypts have grown in the 7weeks since planting until I looked back at augusts photo.

Back