• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard scape

I picked up some rock yesterday for my nano that I will be setting up in a couple of weeks. I was washing it down and have a think when I realised my hands where a rusty colour. With that I thought it might contain some metal? Here is a picture, can someone please I'd for me and let me know if it is ok for my aquarium. Many thanks

20151213_094126_zpsshc0ygic.jpg

I'm not sure if it's rust or just dust. I did get it in an aquarium shop!

Last edited:
I think it might be jasper rock. Some sites say it's ok, other not. Has any one use it? Is it safe or have I just wasted my money?

No greenfinger it doesn't. Now it has had a wash nothing is coming off it. I would really like to know what it is as I don't want to rish messing up the water.

Hi all,
The red colour in the rock is from ferric iron.
let me know if it is ok for my aquarium
It is a <"metamorphic rock"> of some description (it has been heated deep in the earth until it's "plastic" and started to melt, which accounts for the smooth texture and mixing of the colours), and that should mean that it is very unlikely to be a problem in the aquarium.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, you know your rock.
I'm going to be happy to use it now, just hope that it's not ott.

I have left a couple of pieces outside for about a week now, and unfortunately they are showing signs of rust on them. So I'm on the hunt for some more rock. No more impulse buying.

Back