• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which lens!

GHNelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Hoggie,

From the three ones you've suggested, the Canon 50mm would be the best. Its only issue is the minimum focus range which is 45cm. It will still give you a some nice close up but it's not a macro lense. The great advantage of that lense it's the 1.8 aperture. The smaller the number the better. This means you will be able to keep shutter times quite short with lower iso.

What lense have you got at the moment? What's your camera?

Cheers,
Manu

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi Manu
Thanks for the reply!
I have a Canon 500 EOS...I've got the older version of 50mm 1.8.
I just want something that's not to bulky to put on the body and shoot reasonable detailed pictures for the moment!
I'm not into messing about with lighting and all that jazz.....I haven't got the time....maybe next year I can dedicate more time and effort to photography!
Cheers
hoggie

If you've already got the old 50mm then the sigma and tamron are very good and have a limited macro function although I tend to favour Sigma.

Re the 50mm you said you've got the old version. Is this the mk1 as it was seen as a better lens than the mk2 you've linked to? The newest 50mm f1.8 is called the STM and is dearer.

Hoggie,

Stu is right about the newer STM's. You certainly don't need one of those!

I use the exact same kit on 60D, I think it works great. The 100mm is fantastic :)

Mine's on a 600D, I use it for my insect photography.

Another option, if you want to get a bit of a close-up is to use close-up adapters. They are filters that are placed in front of your lens. Much less expensive than a new lens.

Do you use a tripod hoggie?

Back