• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2kg FE used in just over a week?

Brian Murphy

Hi all,
So I have decided to use Co2 24/7 for the initial setup period before I add any livestock but in just over 1 week (saturday to following monday) the 2kg fe is empty! How long does your 2kg fe's last for? Even if I had been using it for the photo period that is still only approx 2 weeks! Sounds like a leak to me but I cant find it anywhere. I currently use an UP inline diffuser on my 4ft tank but would like to start using a glass diffuser as more asthetic reason against the mist that an inline would plus I have had it a long time and that could be my leak source

Mines going strong 4 months in so far with 3 bps in my bubble counter... Though I have no backup so I probably need another ASAP!

Hi Brian
Does sound as though you have a leak....what's your Co2 configuration and what components are you using?
Cheers
hoggie
I have it going as hard as I can just so the mist isn't coming out as biggish bubbles. I have a dual stage regulator from Co2art and the tubing from that going into a bubble counter and from that into the UP diffuser and out via lily pipes. Im going to start injecting from 2 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before lights off so as I can start adding shrimp and sae. Will also do a ph timeline on sunday when off work

Sound very very quick. My tank is 4 x 2 x 2 approx - 2kg FE lasting I think about 6 weeks.

Where did you get the FE from? Maybe it wasn't filled up? I'd weigh the empty one and compare it to the new one.

Always weigh your cylinder before and after. The tare weight should be etched to your cylinder or you can figure out when fully empty. Then you know whether you had 2kg to start off with.

My full 2Kg FE + attached regulator weighs 5.8Kg, obviously dropping to 3.8Kg when empty. I write the weight every couple of weeks on the cylinder, that way I know approximately how much longer my cylinder will last.

I use about 15gr per day for 8 hours on a 180l tank, getting a green to yellow drop checker. That's about 130days for a 2Kg.

That's 15/8/180 -> 0.01gr per hour per litre.

So knowing your tank volume and CO2 on time you can work out your approximate usage per day (in grams) , based on mine, as (your volume) * (hours on) * 0.01.

Though without doing any calculation, you obviously either had a monster tank (I make that 1200litres @ 0.01gr per hour per litre in 7 days) or you have a leak....

Hi
What bubble counter are you using?
Remove the UP atomiser from the Lily pipe tubing and put it in the tank or a clear container....then run the Co2 to see if there is any leaks on the outside of the UP atomiser!
Cheers hoggie

Back