• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British River Biotope

I'm really not familiar with British "common-names", sorry......but it is Ranunculus family, of that help.
Hurrah for Google.......Water crowfoot it is.......

Sorry Im one of the common people in that regard... I remember very few Latin names :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Generally they should not be needed; the Latin names.......they just make it easier to be exact, when communicating across languages.......;):)

It's Ranunculus aquatilis actually, one of the commonest aquatic plants at least in my area. It grows at the end of the winter in the flooded rice paddies and creates beautiful carpets of white flowers over the water... Very beautiful!
I also tried it when I was young in my "drop whatever you find in the rice paddies and channels" tank. My light equipment at that time was not good and the plant grew very leggy. I would say it is perfect for emersed growth, that's for sure.
What about Anagalis tenellus? I failed when growing it submerged (emersed it is a very nice plant with small and round leaves) but if I'm not wrong Marcel (aka zozo) managed to grow it. Lysimachia is another option. Tropica does not produce it anymore but some nurseries do (as pond plants)

Jordi

Ok Went out this morning to get some more plants and Sticklebacks, Fish Farm is closed! No idea when they open because their website doesn't say but presumably its only week days. Tried a garden centre for plants and they only had 2 Lilys - Great!

Basically I've just got on with it with what i have so that the plants I do have don't die. Ill perhaps add some more later on.

fcd39c0c46f807c194b076f9df367a6d.jpg

173e9d335251f7f24ff29eedfa8acefd.jpg

Tank looks good
- I always like to have the tank up & running for a bit before adding fish anyway :)

Tank looks good
- I always like to have the tank up & running for a bit before adding fish anyway :)
Thanks

I have mature filter media in the filter already and usually start off with daily large water changes to compensate for a filter not being fully bacteria'd up yet

I always notice how tanks smell - the odours given off by new substrates whether soil or various sands/gravels change over time - some fish react much more obviously to these changes in water composition, but I suspect most fish "notice" on a biochemical level.
Hardscape materials can also "flavour" the water.

Hi Richard, Great journal : Not to sure about the stones though,)

Can you get little Gray river stones would look more natural
One photo

701e4254-65f1-48ab-b287-4c442e907fe4_zpsdh74arzi.jpg

I know the stones arnt great but I got them by actually wading through a stream and picking them up.They are stones from the natural habitat I've taken inspiration from. I was hoping to find polished round stones but oh well

Where is that video posted again, submersed in a british kanal or was it irish? That's a lovely video, huh kanal i mean.. So clear and clean and lush.. :) Forgot where on ukaps it is posted.. Somebody else might remember. :)

What about Anagalis tenellus? I failed when growing it submerged (emersed it is a very nice plant with small and round leaves) but if I'm not wrong Marcel (aka zozo) managed to grow it

Yup, i got it emersed as well submersed and semi.. With semi i mean got it emersed above the open top tank and i see it growing partialy submersed because it has no other place to go. The submersed i got in a low light low tech tank, there it grows extremely leggy. It's a fast grower and loves a lot of light and probably loads of co2. If you don't have that, than it's not the most beatifull plant to keep. But it also doesn't mind to grow epiphytic in moss, if you have hardware close to the surface, than it's a very beautifull addition to your tank.. :)
jcPK1vT.jpg

Back