• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lumen or Kelvin?

Cor

Planning to begin (again) an DSM, fro a low-tec cube, but I have a question about the lights:
what is more important for growing the plants: Lumen or Kelvin?

For example: 380 Lumen - 6500 Kelvin or 740 Lumen - 2700 Kelvin

I've made a search in the forum, but I only find info about full tanks, not in dry start. Or is it the same?

regards, Cor

Last edited:
The par rating ( http://www.sunmastergrowlamps.com/PAR_Watts.htm) is important but the colour spectrum far less so however for a dry start you can use quite high light and for quite a long time!
In most cases you can double the lighting power and durations while the plants have an unlimited supplies of C02 compared to when they are submerged in water and have a limited supplies of C02.
Although most folk are going to use the same lights for a dry start you can use 12 hours lighting period & then drop that to 6 when you fill the tank.

For a low tech cube, I would suggest using low light for DSM. Then the plant adaptation phase when do fill the tank will be less. Would that be correct logic? Anyone have experience with this?

Hi rebel, you make an interesting point!
Of course most plants will have already been exposed to bright light from the glass house or tropical growing environment they came from.
Also realise that most plants will shed their terrestrial leaves when submerged, however because the main advantage of a dry start is to get the roots established, I think getting the best growth by supplying bright light will only help?
I guess if you are not in any rush to fill the tank then perhaps lower lighting for a few extra weeks will do the same job but the leaves will still have to adapt and reform.

Back