• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Watts per gallon

robert2191

Im upgrading my aquarium to about 480l but i need to buy lights for it i want it a planted aquarium would 4x 54w t5 be enough for that size aquarium or more
I know you can work out how many watts per gallon but not sure how
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Watts per Gallon is not accurate, you should be measuring PAR, but a PAR meter is very expensive and almost no one has one, so what to do?
First, T5 light are very powerful and I'm sure 4 x 54W will be to much, myself I have 1.5 (parts are covered) T5's running above my 300 liter tank and it seems more than enough.
As guide you can use this....
PARreading_zps8b784252.jpg

Watts per Gallon is not accurate, you should be measuring PAR, but a PAR meter is very expensive and almost no one has one, so what to do?
First, T5 light are very powerful and I'm sure 4 x 54W will be to much, myself I have 1.5 (parts are covered) T5's running above my 300 liter tank and it seems more than enough.
As guide you can use this....
PARreading_zps8b784252.jpg

Thanks for your reply, sorry don't really understand that graph I normally just keep the lights what come with the tank but this tank I'm getting don't come with them

Thanks for your reply, sorry don't really understand that graph
emoji4.png
The graph is used to roughly determine if your lighting setup will mean a low tech, medium tech or high tech. Going higher tech means more frequent water changes, carefully controlled CO2, high levels of fertiliser but much faster growing plants and if it goes wrong (algae, melting plants etc) it all goes very very quickly.

So using 4 off T5 tubes and 20 inches deep tank (for instance) gives a PAR reading of 65PAR x 4 = 260PAR which is in the monsterously high light region...so algae & ,melting plants here we come.

Yet two tubes is 130 PAR which is high, but manageable as a high tech tank.

We don't know your tank depth, so just guessing at what tech level 2,3 or 4 tubes will give.

Thanks not sure of the height of the tank , it should be delivered Thursday so will check then

The above is a very simplified diagram, better understanding can be had by looking at this article which shows a three dimensional array of how light from T5 (& other sources) "falls" over the surface area of your tank
Figure 2: Light distribution for the 36" ATI Powermodule 6X39W ATI Ecolux 6500K HO T5 Lamps

This article is also worth reading if you're interested in the complexities of lighting - often comparisons between lighting types or even different emitters of same type lighting are about as accurate as comparing apples & oranges ;)

Depending on tank dimensions, 2 HO T5 lamps may work very well, OTOH if your tank is 120cm x 60cm x 60cm, a single fixture with 2 T5 lamps will likely result in some areas being rather shaded compared to others.

Thanks for all the help got my tank and the measurements are 120(L) x 24(H) x 21(W)

Haha sorry them last two inches

more sensible ;)
... anyway, look at the dimensions of the T5 fixtures, you may have
2 x T5 in 18cm width
OR
4 x T5 in 24 cm width

(I think, site is not loading for me now)

Depending on how you want to scape your tank, lights may be fine ... or less than ideal ... shaded areas of the tank are fine if they suit your goals.

more sensible ;)
... anyway, look at the dimensions of the T5 fixtures, you may have
2 x T5 in 18cm width
OR
4 x T5 in 24 cm width

(I think, site is not loading for me now)

Depending on how you want to scape your tank, lights may be fine ... or less than ideal ... shaded areas of the tank are fine if they suit your goals.
Think I might go with the 4 bulbs and if its to much then turn 2 bulbs off
Thank you

Think I might go with the 4 bulbs and if its to much then turn 2 bulbs off
Thank you

Better turn on 2 first, if it isn't enough turn on more, this prevents nasty unwanted algae growth because of to much light and not enough competition from plants as they still have to settle.

Better turn on 2 first, if it isn't enough turn on more, this prevents nasty unwanted algae growth because of to much light and not enough competition from plants as they still have to settle.

Ok i will do it that way
Thanks for your help

Back