• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What PPI Is My Foam?

jagillham

Slightly odd question, can anybody give me a rough idea on what PPI this foam is. The seller does not seem to know unfortunately!

I want something finer for later on in the sump, but don't know what PPI to go for as have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!

20150719_082427_zpsuyq6aazg.jpg

Looks like it's coarse enough, not sure what ppi though. My guess is low enough and it will work as a mechanical filtration. You can notch one level up from this but no more. Don't get too fine foam as it will clog too quickly.
I use 10 and 20 in my external filters and it works great without restricting the flow at all and it produces very clean looking water.
I wouldn't go finer than 25ppi.

I've got tonnes of this in the sump already, but wanted something finer to filter between that and the floss. Don't want to order online to find I've got the same stuff again :)

get foam source without breaking the bank
For a sump you can use pieces of lavastone too, dead cheap and in a sump you should have plenty space. Pro-tip: put them in some kind of bag to facilitate rinsing them out (to get rid of to much accumulated dirt).

Well I opted to gamble on a sheet of 30ppi - I think it looks about the same as the one I had tbh!

20151024_111422_zpsjejtryo6.jpg

Back