• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne x willisii not growing

JoeH

So I've had it growing for about 3 months in my planted tank and it hasn't seemed to grow one bit. All the other plants have grown amazingly (dwarf sag) (rotalla) (mosses) Any ideas? Thanks
Tank specs:
120l bow front
Dirted tank
45w lighting
No ferts or c02

Do you have a pic?

I'm pretty sure I have this Crypt and it does seem to stay pretty small. It's a nice plant but I may have to find a new home for mine as I was planning on it adding a bit more height.

Is this it?
9c5d98be293e4b43bb50917f4c049450.jpg

Crypt. x Willissii is not as fast growing as the Crypt. Wendtii-types......and often a slow starter, needing to grow a strong root-system, before really getting into growth. Supposing you have a rich substrate, you should see begiining growth after 3 months, though.
Some root-fertiliser-capsules could help (and won't hurt, for sure) to "get things going". If plants look healthy, patience is the best medicine ;) .

Andy; your plants are not Crypt. x Willissii !!!
Most likely Crypt. Wendtii 'green', which comes in several different types, with quite different hights. Personally, I actually prefere the lower growing ones, since there are so many higher growing Crypts. to choose from.

Crypt. x Willissii is not as fast growing as the Crypt. Wendtii-types......and often a slow starter, needing to grow a strong root-system, before really getting into growth. Supposing you have a rich substrate, you should see begiining growth after 3 months, though.
Some root-fertiliser-capsules could help (and won't hurt, for sure) to "get things going". If plants look healthy, patience is the best medicine ;) .

Andy; your plants are not Crypt. x Willissii !!!
Most likely Crypt. Wendtii 'green', which comes in several different types, with quite different hights. Personally, I actually prefere the lower growing ones, since there are so many higher growing Crypts. to choose from.
1bd88fc3e15c0c292a8fa48bcc6c364d.jpg

Thanks for the info :) here's a pic of them (by the wood)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Thats crypt parva, one of the slowest growing of all. The good thing is that it can survive and thrive on very low ferts and co2. But it will benefit from addition of these two.

Thats crypt parva, one of the slowest growing of all. The good thing is that it can survive and thrive on very low ferts and co2. But it will benefit from addition of these two.
Ahh ok, might purchase some root tabs to kick start things then :)

Ahh ok, might purchase some root tabs to kick start things then :)

Here's a pic of the tank anyway, still got some growing to do but for my first planted tank I'm pretty happy with it.

Here's a pic of the tank anyway, still got some growing to do but for my first planted tank I'm pretty happy with it.

584f735b48a29b7bdac319bd6ab247e9.jpg

Growth looks quite healthy which is main thing in the start. Youve selected easy plants which is a clever choice.
If you spread out that sagitaria you can have a nice carpet.
Trim a lot off the moss.
Try planting stem plants in diagonal rows/groups from back to front making them fatter at the back.
Leave corners unplanted. Plant from the driftwood outwards.

Growth looks quite healthy which is main thing in the start. Youve selected easy plants which is a clever choice.
If you spread out that sagitaria you can have a nice carpet.
Trim a lot off the moss.
Try planting stem plants in diagonal rows/groups from back to front making them fatter at the back.
Leave corners unplanted. Plant from the driftwood outwards.
Thanks :) not the best quality pic so moss looks better IRL, I do see what you mean about the corners though. What stem plants would you reccomend?

Defenitely look like C. parva. Leafplate a bit on the wide side -'so there is a small chance, they are very young C. x Willissii. But most likely they're C. parva.
I was really tired of the notorious slow grow of C. parva, so I did some testing, years ago.
It is possible to speed up growth, by (heavily) adding root-fertilisers, giving (relatively) higher light-intensity and adding CO2.......but C. parva will never be a fast grower :arghh:

Defenitely look like C. parva. Leafplate a bit on the wide side -'so there is a small chance, they are very young C. x Willissii. But most likely they're C. parva.
I was really tired of the notorious slow grow of C. parva, so I did some testing, years ago.
It is possible to speed up growth, by (heavily) adding root-fertilisers, giving (relatively) higher light-intensity and adding CO2.......but C. parva will never be a fast grower :arghh:
Hmm thinking of changing idk, still got the lable and it says x willissii but could have been marked up wrong i guess..

Mick,

You are of course correct.
If that is really C. Wendtii 'Tropica' - they are quite a-typical. This could be from being very immature plants.
C. Wendtii 'Tropica' should produce (more or less) leathery brown leaves, slightly mottled with dark stripes. Leaf-plate should be longer, a bit more pointed - and quite hammered. This plant should be able to grow to both 15 and 20 cm.
I think I see some changes in newest leaves - so maybe you should wait and see, what happens.....??

Hmm thinking of changing idk, still got the lable and it says x willissii but could have been marked up wrong i guess..

If label says C. x Willissii.....that's probaply what it is!!!
I'd give them some time, to grow taller, f you really want that plant at that place.......still patience is the thing....:)

If label says C. x Willissii.....that's probaply what it is!!!
I'd give them some time, to grow taller, f you really want that plant at that place.......still patience is the thing....:)
Haha I'll give it a few months then lol, any pics of your tank?

Back