• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestion Have you searched first?

James O

There seems to be lots of basic questions being asked that have been asked and answered a million times before and multiple threads in different forums being started. They just clutter up the forums and make it harder to find the original info. We don't always help by answering these basic questions over and over instead of pointing to the million previous answers.

Eg what's the difference between low tech and high tech? Or a thread started about Amanos passing over a month after he died - like we'd miss that :banghead:

On a couple of other sites I frequent, when you try to start a new thread it asks, 'have you searched first?' And you have to click yes before the thread will post. Multi Abusers are locked from starting threads until they show they are posting as a useful member.

One even limits your ability to start a thread until you have posted 20 or so times :clap: (like the sale/swap/want section)

It very often comes down to how you do or setup you search query. Search engines are nothing more than robots searching in a binary way for words. Even for those with english as native language have trouble finding the right way to do a search query. People think abstract instead of binary. If the database replies with the error "Your query is to short" doesn't make it easier if you're just an average PC user.
So it's much easier to ask than to keep thinking "How the hell do i have to find it with reading trough all the hits the longer query gives me?"
think.gif

Maybe leading people first to a tutorial how to search a database instead of asking "did you search?" A beter question would be "How did you search?"

http://www.googleguide.com/category/query-input/

do find the UKAPS search a bit unfriendly. Like Ed I normally just use google with site:ukaps.org as a modifier.
I do the same. I would say it is the only way to find the information you're looking for. The forum search engine doesn't work.

People asking this kind of basic question haven't made an obvious minimum effort for searching (at least for the one about low/high tech). However, I think the Tutorials section should be updated with "advanced FAQ"

Jordi

Agree with much of what has been said, but am more disturbed by those who do not read what has been posted already in a thread before they ask question's that have already been answered like.." what size tank? what lighting ? what fertz are you dosing ? etc.
I sometimes begin using search engine or reading back through thread's on topic's of interest only to find I have strayed completely away from what it was I was originally searching for. (insert smiley face).

I sometimes begin using search engine or reading back through thread's on topic's of interest only to find I have strayed completely away from what it was I was originally searching for.
Sounds like a youtube session.. :D There i often end up looking at things and think howe the hell did i get here?? :p

But for so for it is the same at every forum no matter the subject :) as i was active for years at IT forums, same there 75% repetitive questions. i also drive a 1982 MB oldtimer/youngtimer and thus also active at a club forum for that.. Same story, repetitive questions.. I guess that's the point of sharing a forum ask questions which are most likelely repetitive for the longer and more advanced members.

If i look at my self, ill remember a time where i wasn't so sure how the ask or search an issue i do not know much about. Who am i to say, you didn't search enough!? I can't look in some ones head nor can i judge someones knowledge and how dificult it might be for that person to search for an answer. You are all free to skip a thread if you don't feel like participating a repetitive issue. Actualy skipping such a thread is much easier than think about why or write a complained with the question did you search enough. Leave it for the mediocrity users to answer, than they also have a chance to share some knowledge and feel good about it. And this is excactly why forums don't bleed to death.. :) Mediocrity getting more advanced and replacing the people who leave because they get borred by repititiveness.

When i look back at the IT forums i visited so often for so many years.. Only a very small handfull of hardcore members are still active there which i still know from back then.. The rest is replaced by newcomers. :)

I hope UKSAPS doesn't end up like that zozo. Obviously there are only so many ways to skin a cat/tank. People like Pedro Rosa are pushing the boundaries but I get nervous when Ceg disappears for long periods of time. The numbet of times he repeats himself about lighting, CO2 and algae must get pretty boring for him.

BTW - The Internet was invented March 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee - 26 years ago. The only excuse for being unable to perform a search properly in 2015 is that you're 80 :oldman:

Well,I'm only 60 yrs young,and up until 2003 when employer installed computer program controlled HVAC system at my work,I was blissfully ignorant of all thing's computer related.It is with some degree of difficulty, that I'm able to communicate in this arena/medium.(can't type for crap)
I do not have a phone of any sort, and haven't for the last ten yrs .(love it)
The internet was truly a revelation for me with regard's to this hobby for I do not have to stumble and fail as much as before It's invention, and my effort's with aquatic weed's reflect this.
Information is out there,just need to hit a few key's on the keypad to discover it.
Like this forum and member's very much and am glad that the truth is communicated just the way I needed to hear it short,sweet,and sometimes bluntly.

Well James we all do not know how it ends up, but there always will be people comming and going. The ones comming ask the repetitive questions which the ones staying hopefully answer. You can be a scholar by hobby or profession but being a teacher isn't a profession, it's a calling. And for being a good teacher you need to be a scholar who's prepared to repeat himself over and over again. Because that's what's learning is al about, repeating. for some students it takes less for others it takes ages to get it in there skull. You wouldn't be much of a teacher if you answer with "Did you search in the book?"

I've been system admin for many years at a local highschool where the computer of course became a very important teaching tool.. Where students, scholars and teachers come to ask questions about issues they have with the computer. We still live in a transition era where poeple brought up with penn and paper have to teach kids with the use of a computer and books at the same time. It takes one more generation to level that out equaly.

But my point is you wouldn't believe how many times i had to repeat myself explaining to very highly educated scholars which button to push to get a certain task done on their PC. teaching economics like the best, but using a computer couldn't fit in their sellective memory. Believe me they still do excist.. And when i told them where to find the information to get it done if the problem ocurs again. They often replied, I don't have time for that, we have you that's enough for me.They say, i look at my PC as if it is my car, if it doesn't work i call you. And than i brought them up and running again with the push of one button. :arghh: The same one i pushed for them 3 days earlier.. For many people in our generation a computer with internet is just to much information throwen at them in a split second, where most of the end users get lost. It requires a certain way of thinking, asking a computer a question and understanding the answer you get back from it, many people in our generation are not used to yet. Asking someone who knows already is much easier, faster and less frustrating. :)

A computer only answers a given query sometimes with even more questions then answers. It also doesn't explain it if you still don't understand. :thumbup:

I do not agree with the premise that questions however much discussed should not be asked on this forum.Have we forgot why we joined in the first place?If someone for example wants to ask about their sick fish or dying plant and possibly a quick answer,especially with the fish,before reading a book or going to tutorials that is fine by me and they can be pointed to tutorials,articles,PFK and the like.if needed.As hobbyists we get more and more knowledge but lets not forget were we started. To send new people direct to tutorials or technical scientific theories initially can dampen their enthusiasm because they want someones basic input whether a expert or a hobbyist first.Clogging up the forum? there is plenty of banter here from experts and hobbyists long may it continue.Tributes to Amano ,why not,its the reason many of us are were we are and its doubtful this forum would exist would exist without what he did for the hobby.

Hi guys,

Just installed a new add-on called "Similar Threads" which will alert you when creating a new post if there are similar topics already on the forum based on the title, for example I tried creating a new topic called "high tech" and it listed similar post as you can see from the image below:

similar.JPG

Also at the bottom of any topic it will give you a list of similar topics already posted.

Maybe this will help a little ;)

Cheers
Paulo

LondonDragon = Genius :clap:

A bit on the search as i see many give negative feedback on the default search.
Xenforo has one of the best search on boards what i've seen. But this is something what need to understand.

If you search on the home page the search query will ran through on the entire board. More result, harder to find.
If you go to the specific topic let's say lighting, and use the search there it will only ran through the lighting topics.

if you add narrow parameters like only in title, by member, newer than... will again give more closer result.
Using the more advanced search....
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/search/?type=post
...you also can set to show the topics which has the most replies along with other filtering options.

Old members may know this well, but many times this is not straightforward to a newbie.
So on welcome message, notices may worth to mention how cool is this (with other nice functions you have)

Back