• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting advice for newbie

Doozer999

Hello good people, please bear with me or redirect as I am sure this or similar may already be asked....

I am to reshape my 125 litre community tank to a planted scape, with a few fish. I'll be asking some substrate questions in the relevant area, but for now....

It is a Jewel Rio 125 tank with 2 x 28W T5 highlite Day lamps, with reflectors.

I know it'll depend on specific plants chosen, but is my lighting adequate...or woeful?

I will likely progress to CO2 of some description...and will be looking to the standard java ferns, and is and some kind of forgiving ground cover for starters (advice and suggestions welcome)!

I guess, what with substrate etc I'm hovering around 2W per gallon for lighting.? Is that good enough?

Many thanks.

Hey doozer, panic not, you have more than enough light for you needs.
Spend your time (and money) on circulation and co2, they are the usual challenges.

Substrate with a good CEC (ability to hold nutrients) will help the plants, read all the articles on the home page then read them again ;)

Monte Carlo and hair grass are generally the easiest carpeting plant to begin with.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for such a swift red Ian. I'm reading all that I can!!!

What do you mean by circulation? I have the internal jewel filter at one end, and an external eheim cannister (2213) at the other, so I think the flow is OK.... Unless you mean something else. Does that sound OK?

I'll likely ask in the co2 thread...but I'll be looking at some kind of co2 - either pressurised, or reaction type?

The water movement within the tank is very important as it supplies nutrients to the plants, this becomes even more important when you inject co2.
It is not just the amount of pump power but the way the flow is directed to ensure an even distribution.
Keep reading and it will all come together.

Back