• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P - A Brief Crack of Light

Chris, I think you should just stop now …… adding water and plants might spoil it !!!!

Thanks for the compliments. Seeing my name in the same sentence as predro rosa's... wow :wideyed:

ahah, You guys make me more then i deserve! Much more :) Just an amateur like the 99% of people on UKAPS.
You have a GREAT layout here.

As promised, here are the detail shots with the final substrate levels.

20628862740_76e1cd9b0f_c.jpgFront right by Christian Witt, auf Flickr

This is almost perfect... Great stones, great work!
I hope you won't find me intrusive by saying that You could try some details on the right-to-middle-upper-area... so that the "line" could become lesse visible. I know that the plants are going to play an important role but...
Where are you going to put the stem plants (Didiplis, etc)... oh Didiplis is a ... pain ...

The_Iceman said:

These details are great! And the way you have little stones on the sand...
We're waiting. Go to work on this and show us more :)

Pedro.

ahah, You guys make me more then i deserve! Much more :) Just an amateur like the 99% of people on UKAPS.
You have a GREAT layout here.

This is almost perfect... Great stones, great work!
I hope you won't find me intrusive by saying that You could try some details on the right-to-middle-upper-area... so that the "line" could become lesse visible. I know that the plants are going to play an important role but...
Where are you going to put the stem plants (Didiplis, etc)... oh Didiplis is a ... pain ...

WOW!! Thanks Pedro,

just came home with some plants and a bag of Amazonia Powder, started the laptop, just to see your posting here!
I have to say, now I'm a little proud! Thank you for the kind words!

The details on the right side... hm well, I guess I will let not plant the Didiplis then.
I tinkered around with Photoshop a little bit, perhaps this helps to imagine what I have in mind:

20662152989_77d4a38979_c.jpg

Not very detailed imho, with a touch of "dutch"... but I like it.
Any ideas and recommendations are welcome :)
And Pedro... You are a Pro! ;)

Cheers,
Christian

Christian,

It's done! No algae or Plant Growth problems :D Photoshop makes aquascaping easier :p

First thing i can tell you (and other guys can please agree or disagree on this) i that the height for Rotalas to growth is not very much. You'll need to trim a lot (1 or 2 times a week?) and plant would never be very beautiful (like those images) because it has no time to mature and get those big beautiful leafs... at least on the left side. I like the lileopsis (is that one on the right?)... it's not a easy plant but it grows.
... but the style is beautiful!!! Go ahead with that!

Pedro.

Haha Pedro,

this would be waaaay too easy :lol: But it helps to create a better "complete" picture...

Well you are right, the rotala worries me the most at the moment, but I'll give it a try. How is the saying? Fortune favours the brave, or the id*ots... :lol:
The plant on the right is Blyxa japonica. It could be a little bit too big and I like your idea with the lileopsis... could be worth a try!

Thank you so much Pedro! I'll try to finish this one as soon as possible!

That's what I achieved today:

First... Aqua Soil Powder and SHOWER TIME including Wood sticks:

20858902251_7a12bea2b9_c.jpgSticks and Stones... by Christian Witt, auf Flickr

Then 2 cups of Staurogyne:

20842150152_bddf84fe8c_c.jpgStaurogyne planted by Christian Witt, auf Flickr

And finally the rotala:

20230736933_e209af7768_c.jpgRotala planted by Christian Witt, auf Flickr

Unfortunately I'll need one more cup, so I'll stop for today and plant the rest tomorrow.

20242551233_6334310003_c.jpg[

Argh :what: Need more time!

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Alright... here we go!

Day 1:

20907425105_e3a5265afc_c.jpg

Most of the Riccardia is still there where I wanted it to be! Unfortunately I did not get enough of this moss, it's expensive as hell here and you get only a tiiiiiny piece of it.
However... flooded and now I have to be patient and keep on the water changes.

Cheers,
Chris

Fantastic planting job!
I especially like the bits stuck into the rock face :)

Can you list everything you've added?

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

@alto: Everything that I have added...hm ok let's start from the beginning:

Substrate and Hardscape:
25-30kg of Manten Stone
4-5kg of small Lava stones in the back
7kg Aqua Soil Amazonia
1kg Aqua Soil Amazonia Powder
ADA LaPlata and Colorado Sand (mixed together)
ADA Aqua Gravel here and there (I only picked the dark stones out of it :lol:)

Plants are:

Riccardia spp.
Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba"
Eleocharis Mini
Bucephalandra Mini Catherine
Becephalandra Golden Bell
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Blyxa Japonica
Staurogyne Repens
Rotala Rotundefolia

@Martin: I'll add a backlight + a printed foil just to the cave soon, otherwise yes, you are right, as it is right now, it makes no sense :)

Thanks for all the kind words :clap:

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, very promising start. The only thing that bother me: are you sure your shrimps won't spoil the sand with amazonia black balls? Kinda hate when they do this. From the photo I'm not sure if you made proper barrier between sand and soil. I'd probably wait till cuba cover the transition to sand properly before adding any little diggers to the tank.

The only thing that bother me: are you sure your shrimps won't spoil the sand with amazonia black balls? Kinda hate when they do this.

Oh they will do for sure :lol:
But as you said, I'll wait until the HCC has grown a little bit over the barrier.

I see me picking soil balls out of the sand already :lol:

Thanks Roy,

I thought after 5 days it would be nice to give you guys an update!

Running smoothly. No signs of algae, yet! Only adding potassium in small amounts to keep it at round about "5" mg/L

Blyxa was in a bad shape and it looks like it is completely melting... but let's wait and see.

Last edited:
Extremely good.

The sooner you add a back light the better.

try pushing your aqausky all the way to the back. then have a light strip just in front and below the tank to light the foreground

Looking at your bubbles in the tank.... I wonder if it would be better to swap diffuser and lily pipe output, i.e. allow flow with CO2 bubbles to go up the hill. Just a thought. But you should see a better picture.

Working on it Dantrasy ;)

Printing my backlit foil as we speak :)

@Alexander: In the Video you can't see the fine bubbles that are running down the hill. At the Moment every plant is covered in a fine mist.
If something happens, I have another power head here ;)

Back