• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium sizing

F. Jeppesen

I have given up on trying to find someone that can ship a tank from the UK to Denmark. Instead I will have one made by my own specifications..
I wanted a 60x45x30 tank like the one TMC makes.. Thing is, i bought all the equipment already and the lily pipes I bought are fairly large (16/22). The intake is 30cm long.
My question is, will it look silly going for a 60x45x40 tank? That way i won't have my intake sticking so far out of the aquarium. I mean all the aquascapes i see are fairly flat compared to regular tanks.
I'll try to find some seiryu stones that will fit the tank size, maybe ~20cm for the main stone. Or will this just blahblahblahblah up the composition?
I hope you understand my fairly confusing post ...

Hi there,
It depends on what you want to do (by the sounds of it you'd like to do an iwagumi?), personally I don't think it would be silly at all. If ADA make a 60x45x45 tank that looks good I can't imagine a 60x45x40 being significantly different (possibly even slightly better). I think there are just as many iwagumi style scapes in deep tanks as there are in the shallow ones.

However, if you're concerned about a lot of empty space in the top of the tank, maybe think about using a deep substrate layer or building up a slope with rock terraces. You could also try mixing it up with some tall stem plants at the background (I wouldn't be shy about this as it always makes fish happier to have some screening) or constructing larger rocks with the hardscape (which should give you some good nooks and crannies to plant moss, epiphytes etc. in). With 45 cm to play with you should be able to create a great sense of depth and height.

As for choosing your stones, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it's one of those things you can take your time with and figure out until you're happy with it. Just don't make it harder on yourself by not having enough material!

Cheers & all the best,
Finn.

Thank you Finn :)
Pretty much the same conclusion i've come up with. I'll try to stik with a 7-10cm bottom layer sloping at the back. But mainly ill try to find some proper sized seiryo stone. Somewhere around 20-25cm for the main stone. Hopefully pointy to get some height on it. That will hope fully balance it a bit.
I'm uncertain about putting other plants, i like the carpeting cubas. But a decent sized Hemianthus Micranthemoides at the back might not hurt.
And you are absolutely correct. Iwagumi all the way :)

Back