• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Building up a tank at the back...

leap

It'll be a while because I am struggling with my other tanks at the mo & they have got to work first:banghead:, but the next one I do I want to build up quite high at the back for a backdrop of immersed plants.

I know I could do peace lillies and such & I love them, but I'm thinking of stem plants mainly ...do they need soil to grow well?

If so, how would one do this?

Is deep soil going to be a problem and go anaerobic?

Is it better to just hang baskets at the back of the tank and feed the plants with liquid ferts?

Thanks for any input.:)

It is not so easy to grow plants up & out of the water, as least not without surrounding high humidity.
Of course you might be living in India for all I know but if you live in the UK with a heated room & bright lights over your tank, then you might have to do some revision as to what might grow out of your tank.
For piling up a background, women's tights filled with baked clay works well!

I live in the UK. Some good points to consider - thanks foxfish.:)
I've had a few plants grow out of my tank by themselves - but in the wrong places -like the midground....:rolleyes:
Lights are okay as they are mounted more to the mid front of the tank leaving a cooler more low light area at the back.

So - if I built up the back with tights & baked clay would it work to layer some soil over them - thinking about an inch of soil?

Back