• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Cube

cracking shot pal!

You sure do have a talent planter. both with scaping and with photography.

Seems to me you have those magic hands a la Farmer George where everything you touch is turning to gold. I am so jealous. lol

Do you use photoshop at all to change the colouring in the photos? If not wow you have a good camera and good lighting.

Keep it up. you're doing us all proud. Like the fissidens by the way. I may experiment with it again sometime. last time I had a few CO2 problems and it was the first to get algaefied.

Andy

yep i'll second that :) awsome mate.

hey supercoley, looks like you and me playing catchup mate :(
ive got to try and get 2 months knowledge on you too :D i just dont know he chemistry side like you.

have you been to MA @ eastbridgfore recently? pretty good.

SuperColey1 said:
You sure do have a talent planter. both with scaping and with photography.

Seems to me you have those magic hands a la Farmer George where everything you touch is turning to gold. I am so jealous. lol

Do you use photoshop at all to change the colouring in the photos? If not wow you have a good camera and good lighting.

Keep it up. you're doing us all proud. Like the fissidens by the way. I may experiment with it again sometime. last time I had a few CO2 problems and it was the first to get algaefied.

Andy

Cheers pal :D

I dont use photo shop, The pics you see are straight out of the camera just a bit of cropping from time to time.
I only have a compact camera (sony cybershot) but if I take loads of pics sooner or later I get a decent one.

The fissidens has done really well for me but I must admit im suffering a little algae at the moment, so you see its not all plain sailing!

Maybe you can pm me some advice on photos with a compact then. I have a Casio Exilim 10mp and I can't get any decent macro shots. Also quite hard to get a good focus most of the time.

Andy

SuperColey1 said:
Maybe you can pm me some advice on photos with a compact then. I have a Casio Exilim 10mp and I can't get any decent macro shots. Also quite hard to get a good focus most of the time.

Andy

Your probobly best of asking Saintly or George for photography tips, they seem to know what there doing with a camera.
I use auto settings and let the camera do the work! No flash, shoot side on to minimise reflection. The sony cybershot has a macro setting which is OK ish but the camera has to go up against the glass of the tank as zooming in will loose you focus.

even with a macro setting, a compact or bridge camera often doesnt cope very well. The lens diameters just arent big enough to channel enough light onto the CCD chip which leads to focusing and exposure issues.

Also, auto focus systems rely on infrared to judge the distance, so if your pointing (often at an angle) at the glass, the beam will reflect off into a different direction, meaning the camera has no return beam to go on. In this case, youll have to manually focus (if you have that option), or pre-focus by half-holding down the shutter release (if you have that option) and pointing at something at the same distance.

Well the last couple of weeks has really been a confidence boost ...
Last week 'the cube' was photographed by Iggy Tavares for 'tropical fish' magazine.
Iggy plans to submit a 2 page article on the tank :D and hes hoping to get it in time for the next isssue (August I guess).

The week prior was carefully planed to prep the tank perfectly so it looked it best on the friday Iggy would visit.
Stems were trimmed, water changes carried out and glass cleaned to perfection. 10 mins before Iggy's arrival I removed the filter inlet/outlet and Co2 reactor. I had this horrible feeling that I would find all the Riccia floating on the surface the morning of the shoot but it all went really well.

So then I gets approached again for some pics by someone a bit closer to home.
This time I have to come up with some pics of my own. Fortunatley I managed to borrow a SLR and a tripod :D For which I have to thank kipper! (cheers Mate). So more tank prepping and another Friday off spent taking pics (love it!)

Never used an SLR before but gave it a good go. Spent a good while photographing my other tank 'Lusty glaze' and ended up with a few half decent shots (well i think so anyway).
Chances are youll all get to see these shots but its not my project so you will have to watch this space!

Sooo I now find myself in a position of having some great pics, thing is im seriously thinking of entering at least one of the scapes into the AGA aquascaping contest. So for now im sitting on the images.

And amongst it all Ive ordered another tank!! :D 60 x 30 x 30 (6mm) optiwhite, rimless & bracless

Bring it on :D

Well done, I'l have to watch out for the next issue :D

Did you find the SLR could do a much broader range of photos than your compact camera?

i'll just post wicked once planter, and you'll know its for every tank! :lol: ....again mate....wicked! you always produce something slightly left of middle ;)

Graeme Edwards said:
Sweet photos..looks very blue, did you shoot in tungston?

Nice clean scape Planter.......

Cheers Graeme,

I borrowed a freinds SLR for these pics and TBH didnt have a clue what I was doing. I messed with the camera settings and took loads of pics to come up with these. With a bit of cropping and a tweak of the contrast in MO picture manager
I got a half decent result.

Back