• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ohko Ocean, now 'Peaks'

I think i can see Mount doom in the background
250px-Mount_Doom.jpg

Yeah, a bit too misty. I'm be happy once it clears some more.

Planting, at this stage, be consist of:

Flame Moss (I have a lot of it on hand). It will go back center mostly. Might need to get some ss mesh
Mini Pelia on a lot of the rocks.
Willow Moss (I think that's what I have). Front left and right
Dwarf Hair Grass at the base of the peaks
Willichi, hm and sp. green on top of the peaks.

I'm thinking of filling the gaps between the peaks with mini pellia covered mesh/rocks and build up the soil behind. With the level raised plant stems on top. If I do this I'll probably ruin the 'peak' appearance (the gaps will be gone), but it's the only way to get the stems up on top. Any thoughts?

No glue. It's a balancing act :p

Got some planting done today. Just taking to slowly to see what I like the look of. So far I have flame (middle to back), sp green, colorata and wallichi. Once they triple in height I think it'll look good.

A friend is going to pass me a bulk load of mini pellia. Should get that within the week.

I have a little dhg and I'll pop that in tonight. I have a lego doco to watch.

fthtg_zpsissefns4.png

I visited a friend last night with an epic 4ft scape and he gave me mini pellia, narrow java, peacock moss and weeping moss. So I spent some time today doing stage two of planting (or in this case gluing :)).

I'm running 2 tubes only, 5 hrs. I think I might raise the fixture soon.

For photos I have all 4 tubes running + x2 back lights (clip on desk lamps).

htht_zpsfunkacrw.png

@Victor, thanks a lot. I'm trying to mitigate algae as much as I can. Only 2 tubes are running for 5 hrs, and I raise the lights last night about 10cm.

@ADA, there's no glue, only gravity :)

The sp. green now winds all the way to the back (on the left). if sp green looks too big at the back I'll replace it with hm. Same goes for the little bits of sp green in rock cracks.

nmg6mw.png

Water line has been lowered approx 10cm to get this fts. I usually tilt the fixture back to give more light to the back of the tank, but this time I was holding a hairdryer in one hand and a remote shutter button in the other. I need three hands :eek:

2njh8wz.png

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Mot. Hope you did well with your iaplc entry. :)

When I take a fts I have all 4 tubes running and 2 clip on lamps for back lighting. And the camera is on a tripod, and I use a remote shutter. With the amount of light I have and the distance the camera is from the tank, I have the shutter speed at 1/100, aperture at F11 and iso at 3200. Using the standard kit lens 18-55mm with a Canon 600d.

Here's the original pic:

33lf8f9.png

Back