• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano at Lisbon Oceanarium

Olá Paulo, what can i say about it :) totally insane the size of it, it's everybody dream to have at your living room and to a nightmare to keep clean and the bills...! :facepalm:
For me it could get bigger fish on it, not monsters for sure :D but maybe more of the size of scalare for sure.

Don't forget that the ticket to see amano's work also gives you the opportunity to see the whole oceanario as well so one advice based on my experience :rolleyes: take more than 8 gb :snaphappy: and full charged batteries! :banghead:

Don't forget that the ticket to see amano's work also gives you the opportunity to see the whole oceanario as well so one advice based on my experience :rolleyes: take more than 8 gb :snaphappy: and full charged batteries! :banghead:
Many thanks, its been a few years since I last visited Ocenario so will make a whole day of it, and I do have a 32Gb card and couple of batteries ;) Cheers

If you don't mind i'll show you few pictures of the oceanario

IMG_7911_zpszmlnpg1k.jpg
IMG_7907_zpssfkhtklm.jpg
IMG_7885_zpsdccviqux.jpg
IMG_7976_zps07ilxfmc.jpg
IMG_7974_zpsoszps0oq.jpg
IMG_7973_zpslpix0chi.jpg
IMG_7972_zpspz7cslay.jpg
IMG_7968_zps36rzz18c.jpg
IMG_7966_zpsk7lzgsj7.jpg
IMG_7964_zpsfys25ojx.jpg
IMG_7886_zpshzezpb0g.jpg
IMG_7962_zpsy40lhlc4.jpg
IMG_7945_zpsamx4gkb9.jpg
IMG_7930_zpsanpqgfha.jpg
IMG_7919_zpss75cwvrp.jpg
IMG_7899_zpsaukk9pac.jpg

and don't forget to smile at him :hungover:

IMG_7958_zps9uiwmsid.jpg

more info here: http://www.oceanario.pt/

Hehe, it´s the most strange and the biggest inside central tank, it's called peixe-lua or Mola-Mola
Name: Sunfish
Scientific Name: Mola mola (Linnaeus, 1758)
Family: Molidae
Group: Bony fish
Class: Fish

Size: 201-400 cm.

Sunfishes are the largest bony fish in the World, reaching more than 3 meters in length and weighing in at over 2 tons!

These docile creatures often lie on their sides on the surface of the water and drift in the current. This behaviour helps them adjust body temperatures after consecutive dives in deeper, colder water.

Despite their unusual appearance, sunfishes are graceful animals, with their silvery glow and slow mesmerizing movements of the two huge fins.

Females release up to 300 million of eggs in the water, which will later be fertilized by passing males. Developing larvae undergo three separate stages, some featuring numerous odd-looking spines and also the loss of a tail fin.

Sunfishes are notorious amongst the scientific community for carrying enormous parasite loads. More than 50 internal and external parasite species have been identified so far.

Because of their delicate nature and slow movements, sunfishes easily fall prey to drift nets and other fishing methods. Their numbers are suspected to be steadily declining as a result.

I am so hugely impressed now...TA I salute you as the grand master!
The plant health appears perfect, I can't see any cut stems or signs of maintenance and the scape itself is growing on me more and more. I really like how he's used large open areas to create an even greater sense of scale.... Now if I could just do that in my 60H.....

Looks very clean and healthy, doesn't look lik a a lot of flow.(there probably is, but isn't very obvious). To me it doesn't look like high light, especialy on the lower tiers it looks like most plants are low light tolerant, but video can be deceiving. The large empty spaces may give a lighter impression also. Can anyone indentify the large (high) plants at 1.36?

Hey guys,

Quick video from my last visit, this was edited by my hopefully future brother in law ;) on my visit last week. I make an appearance in the video somewhere lol was shot and edited by him, hope you enjoy, didn't want to make this too long, just enough to open an appetite and make you guys visit to see for yourselves :)

Watch in HD.

Cheers
Paulo

Last edited:
What your impression on the tank (and plants)?
I was lost for words when I walked into the room, the size of the tank just hits you, when most of us are used to seeing tanks no larger than 120cm or less in real life. It is quite an achievement to create such an amazing aquascape, it flows pretty well across the whole tank and I do prefer the shoals of small fish in the tank.

The plants are just amazing, the guys there are doing a great job in trimming the plants and keeping the tank looking so healthy, its great to see the plants growing to these sizes and see their full potential that we never really get to experience in our minuscule aquariums, if you can visit I really recommend it.

It was a lot to take in and I could easily spend hours there just sitting down and admiring the tank, the background music is also awesome, sample on the video posted (hope not to get in trouble ;))

Was just glad I was there to see it in person when it has already grown in, beautiful.

Back