• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

C02 and ph controller

This thread had just gone totally bonkers. I'm a newby and now I'm thinking to stay clear from aquascape and stick to my discus. It sounds to technical
I thought you could just get a system that is simple. I have no degree in water. I'm just a roofer
Don't worry I trained as a scientist and I haven't got a clue what they're talking about either...luckily for us it doesn't matter...

Ok putting all that aside!

What's going to make this easier ???

( if I was going to learn that so called basics I'd may as well change my carrier)

The easiest way is starting down at the ladder, so you are already into Discus i see. So you're already famiiar with low tech and how to run things and keep 'm in check. That still doesn't mean that you can skip the first half of the ladder and jump right to the top. :)

When you want to go high tech with co2 then you're far from easy if you do not have any experience nor understand the chemistry and physics basics involved. It ain't rocket seince but in way you need to know what you are doing. Then the easiest way to start is reading all tutorials regarding co2 all the basics you need to know are explained in there very adequate.

You could buy a nice starters kit ;) don't dive into deep or to expensive, look for example for a 2nd hand functional disposable botlle kit from somebody who decided to go a step further.

Then give it a try and keep the learned stuff from the tutorials in mind. Measure PH and KH add co2 see what you dropchecker does, measure again, see the table posted earlier in this topic and compare the results. Keep it green.. :) Add firts to make your plants grow. Mean while adding Co2 and other firts you probably will encounter other dificulties, like algae growth or plants getting into shortage of stuff, melting, coloring what ever, all kinds of things can happen.

Then you have UKAPS :) ask questions about what you encounter and experience. People will help you to get a hang of it. After a while playing manualy and measuring this an that and so you'll find out soon enough if you like it enough to go a step further. By then you have learned the basics you need to know.

Then you can start spending big bucks for a nice automated system, with a timer switch and a co2 solenoid and maybe if you're rich enough a 150 buks PH controler.

Now what's easy about a PH smart controler.. Not so very much.. :) you still have to check your KH and PH and watch you fish and plants like a hawk every day and possibly reset your smart controller regularly. It aint smart all the way.. The controller will shut down the co2 when a certain PH value is reached. A value you have to set yourself regarding the measured KH value and desired co2 ppm and what you see in the plants and fish. If things are off you have to check again and find waths wrong, calibration of the controller, wrong KH test, to much or to less firts? The only easy thing is, you do not need to keep the bubble count manualy in check all the time.
So spending 150 buks for just that is depending on your salary maybe a bit to much. Even with a PH smart controler you need to set your bubble count in such a way that if the system fails and doesn't shut off you will never gass your fish or shrimps. They simply die of suffocation if you don't and if it fails when your not home or just not paying attention. Understand the dangers of the ease and then you'll see the PH smart controller isn't realy worth the money for the average hobbyist if you can't find a cheap used one. A good steady needle valve and a good fuctioning regulator is as sufficiant. With or without a smart controller you still need to pay attention anyway. Some people don't and gass their fish, i believe there are topics about that as well here at UKAPS only the real heros dare to post. I don't want to know the number of the silent non heros putting lots of lifes on the line but their own. :) Smart?

Hi all,
This thread had just gone totally bonkers.
It has, and it hasn't, I'm sort of scientist too and I know enough to know that I don't fully understand the chemistry either. People will argue that you don't need to know exactly what happens when you add CO2, but personally I'd be a lot happier if I did.

I'm not a CO2 user (why add another possibility for accidentally killing your fish? I can do that without any help), but If you do want to use CO2, my suggestion would be the same as Troi's, to use a <"drop checker"> to estimate your CO2.

You can have a perfectly good planted tank <"without CO2">. You can use a soil substrate if you want more plant growth (linked thread in the quote)
Have a look at <"Poco Pozo"> and <"leaving hobby....">, for other non-CO2 tanks.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all your input
I never new about the drop checker!

As for the fish or shrimps, I don't want them yet I want to get it right and play around with the plants. Once i have mastered it or quite familiar with how it all works I'll then concider buying the fish. For me it's all about getting the under water garden looking awsome.

I will buy that kit from the link that you sent troi

We're is a good place to buy the glass tulip and pipes from.

Found the glass tulips but the don't seam to sell the pic connector pipes

Ok so if I just have the CO2 regulator with out the ph controller, will this mean I will have to turn the CO2 of and on manually every day.

No you get a regulator with solenoid and connect solenoid to timer to turn gas on and off as required.

Hi
Some Co2 regulators can have a solenoid attached as in the photograph!
This can be plugged into a wall socket timer which will switch the Co2 on and off when required!
aquarium-co2-regulator-with-dual-gauge-with-solenoid-valve-661-p_zps2fphpm7o.jpg
Cheers
hoggie

My tank is almost 900 ltr so will I need 2 co2 bottles and 2 regulator kits, I'm sure I read it on
Y dose 500ltr

Back