• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's ??????? scape

Looking good, I think it's safer to have the layout like that - with the sand at the front etc etc

P.S. what's all this 'toxic' talk on the forums nowadays? :lol:

Thomas McMillan said:
P.S. what's all this 'toxic' talk on the forums nowadays? :lol:

no idea mate. :wideyed:

JAmesM said:
The wood is certainly different mate.. I think you need more stones in there at the base though...

im hoping they will be out of site soon james once grow in.

Garuf said:
I think you will have to run a gauntlet where you will have to be careful not to create a schizophrenic scape,

schizophrenic? garuf, whats that mean?

aaronnorth said:
now that is awesome :eek:

and fianly...thanks aaron, im glad you like it. :D

I'm with who ever it is who said more rocks, any chance of packing some under the wood to make it stick out the tank more on the left hand side?
I spoke too late on adding permanent dividers didn't I. :(

Garuf said:
I'm with who ever it is who said more rocks, any chance of packing some under the wood to make it stick out the tank more on the left hand side?

im getting some thin perspex to split the 2. i dont have much room for the wood coming out of the top due to the luminaire. once thats on then i'll see how much i can raise the whole thing

I've found that when I've done sumatra scapes with sand that the tank becomes almost as though it has 2 characters, or opposing itself. Especially if you find that you have too many or too large a plant in on the wood. It's all about transitions I found.

Hi Saintly, Youve been busy while ive been away! Love the wood, very origional. Nice layout too! What sand did you use in the front?

planter said:
Hi Saintly, Youve been busy while ive been away! Love the wood, very origional. Nice layout too! What sand did you use in the front?

thanks planter. im thinking theres a few that think it might be a bit obscene :? when you see it for real it just hits you. the shear size, the twist turns of the branches....

anyway, the sand is....the one on the left. MA real cheap and looks amazing.

50bc5f93.jpg

Hey Mark, the sand on the left, what's it called? I've seen some UNIPAC sand that I really liked, but couldn't decide if it was "safe" or not (sorta looked a bit marine orientated). Would be interested to know what this one's called as it does look good!

looking real nice :) the sand at the frton is going to give it a nice contrast to the rocks and wood but your gonna have to treat it mean to get the ends of the wood rough. give her a good bashing! Do you know anyone who does bonsai because a good pair of jin pliers and side cutters would make light work of them

SteveUK said:
Hey Mark, the sand on the left, what's it called? I've seen some UNIPAC sand that I really liked, but couldn't decide if it was "safe" or not

apparently its safe. i hope it is. its a wonderful looking sand. maybe a tad on the fine side. ive got my divider/ barrier sorted out. its a peice of thin plastic, that should stop the 2 mixing. time will tell steve wether the sand is good or not. the name? no idea...it didnt have one. MA stock it.

stuworrall said:
looking real nice :) the sand at the frton is going to give it a nice contrast to the rocks and wood but your gonna have to treat it mean to get the ends of the wood rough. give her a good bashing!

it might get the moss treament too. the sand is just a clone of what amano does in his nature aquariums and yes, it gives it a nice contrast....well at least in amanos tanks :lol:

ok peeps, opinions please. now wood placement on the ADA stlye idea is NOT final. what im looking for is which one people here like the most. the idea i suppose, not the actual wood placement. 8)

so either the sumatra driftwood(tangled looking wood) ferns, e tennelus, lots of moss crypts etc. long haul scape

or

ADA style (long branchy bits) moss, e tenneluss, stem plants. i look at this as a quick scape really.4/5 months maybe? then total rip down.

718b0ae9.jpg

2dc18c70.jpg

anyone wondering, there is a barrier in the forground which, when ive decided on scape, will be covered. ;)

thanks in advance.

No.2 is the stereotypical, safe, ADA-style choice. It's very nice, of course.

No.1 is interesting and I think has the potential to form the basis of a more innovative design...

What do you want, Mark? ADA or Mark?

I still think the second one is way better, but like someone else said, it could be more upright? Looks a bit too 'outward'.

Why does the second one have to be a shot scape? Couldn't you still do a long-term with that hardscape?

The tank looks great, really nice with the opti white and arcadia. You going to run a 2028 on each end? I think you need to use stems, or you (and the rest of us) will get bored waiting - crypts do a leaf a week tops!

1 - I don't like the LHS, too tangled, convoluted bloated and turgid & I am not sure what you can make of it that won't look cluttered and choked. RHS has potential.

2 - Too straight, too ordinary, without that Saintly touch of flare or even genius that the rockwork in Henge had.

Sorry, but I think you need to keep looking... :?

Back