• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL 901 Qs - Lily pipes and filter media

Deer

Hello all,

So decided I will buy the above filter, but having never used an eternal filter I'm needing a bit help understanding the size of lily pipe to get.
Spec says
Hose connections: in- and outlet: 12/16 mm, incl. 12/16 hoses
But I understand lily pipes usually come in 13mm and 17mm? Which is the correct size?

Also will I be able to use the same little red clay balls (momentary mind blank here, simply cannot remember the name!) that I currently use in my terrariums false bottom? I use these here for hosting bacteria to break down the waste - so I would assume they would perform the same job in the filter?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yeah leca, that's the name!
I have bags of the stuff filling up my cabinets so just thought some extra media might be nice!
Thanks a bundle guys, off to do some ordering now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening,
Never forget that using Lily Pipes decrease the flow of the filter.

So in order to compensate this you might consider using ADA Bio Rio in the final basket and above this the EQuo Stylla. And after the sponjes.

As to my knowlegde and experience the bioballs that come along with the JBL or even Ehiem material filter does not the same effect as ADA Bio Rio.

I have a 901 with lily pipes and after i change the filter media i notice an increase in the flow.

Those big balls of JBL and Eheim doens´t help at all in the flow of the filter...

Back