• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120l - which couple of cichclids ?

Proenca

Seedling
hi there,

I'm currently going over the amonia cycle on my 120l tank ( 30g for those over the pond ) and I'm scratching my head with the fishstock.

Plan is 8-10 Cardinal Tetras.

I would also like a couple of German Blue rams OR couple of Kribensis OR couple of Apistogramma cacatuoides ... OR .. ?

I would like a couple of cichlids ( going towards a pair of rams and kribs, male and female each ) so they can breed in the aquarium all all that jazz.

Long fins and lovely colours are on top of the list - and specially if they are shrimp friendly, that would be a bonus !

Help :D

acidic water , 6,5 ph - 27 celcius ( cant be bothered with the F thingie )

I suspect the rams will be the least shrimp aggressive (they would be the smallest of your list UNLESS they've been manipulated - there are some very large "rams" coming into the shops)
All 3 of your cichlids will likely eat some shrimp, some individuals may even become avid shrimp hunters - Seriously Fish has species profiles
rams
kribs
apisto

The kribs would likely be the easiest to breed, but they are also usually more difficult to sell on & you may soon run out of tank space for raising the fry.

and specially if they are shrimp friendly, that would be a bonus !
My two Rams guests are the most ferocious shrimp hunters. I know it’s wrong but it’s absolutely amazing how the pair ruthlessly dispatch a fully grown cherry shrimp… like watching a couple of Velociraptors! I don’t know if the red colour of the cherries dives them into a frenzy or if it’s just they're programmed that way. The poor shrimp now only come out in the dark and spend the day hiding in the undergrowth. Even the Amano shrimp has decided to keep his head down. Ho hum.

Hi, my experience with Kribs is one of frustration. I agree, great little fish, and have kept and watch them bred in other tanks. I introduced them to my planted tank, they were very happy, but had a habit of continually pulling up hair grass and e. Tennelus I couldn't replant it fast enough.. any plant with fine leaves they took a liking to.

When adding and additional 10 Cardinals to the tank surprisingly 3 were instantly chased and eaten, never seen this before...... I would be weary of adding them with shrimp, even so I still have a soft spot for Kribs.....

I'd try soms Rams, Kribs can indeed be a nightmare with smaller plants, and Cacts are ferocious hunters; my male goes after adult guppies for a snack, and my shrimp have all gone awol. Rams are the more chill of the dwarf cichlids in my experience, but only couples, no harems, cause one female WILL be slaughtered. But no agression to others, shrimp they do like, but they appear lazier as well, so they try, but give up after a couple of failed attempts.

Back