• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

ourmanflint

Hi

Instead of binning my cuttings from my tanks I now put them in the polytunnel "pond" (just an old water tank), I thought this was a Rotala Macrandra Green but looks very different now its been outside for a few weeks.

IMG_1332S_zpsh9uro3l4.jpg

cheers

Rotala rotundifolia has round leaves (but usually green) when emersed. I don't know how macrandra changes its leaves when going emersed though.

Rotala macrandra - (and 'green') - develop very small, round leaves on very thin stems with short internodes..........very similar to your pic. It usually goes generative very fast, producing little clusters of tiny, white flowers on all growing shoots. Being a variation, you can't expect offspring from possible seed (I actually don't know if it's sterile or not) of Rotala macrandra 'green' to resemble parents.
This is the exact reason, you don't see Rotala macrandra (and the many varieties; 'green', 'mini butterfly' and 'mini 2', just to mention a few) traded as potted plants......they start flowering instead of growing, when above water, making very ugly pots :meh: !!!

Thanks for the info guys, it definitely looks prettier outside than in, so must be extra light levels making the difference

Hi
Rotala rotundifolia me thinks!
If you look it has elongated leaves under the water line classic Rotala rotundifolia when submerged in water over a period.
Above the water line rounded leaves similar to Rotala rotundifolia grown out of water emersed!
hoggie

Back