• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60g High tech- first planted tank

Trey Lanier

Just thought i would share with everyone my first planted tank and first journal on this forum! Hope that everyone enjoys it!!
Setup date- 5/21/15

Tank size- 60 gallon 38x19x20 inch custom
CO2- Aquatek dual-gauge pressure regulator 10 pund co2 tank and Do! Aqua diffuser
Filter- Hydor 450, Eheim skim 350
Substrates- Ada power sand M, 6L ada aqua soil amazonia powder, 4 9L ada aqua soil amazonia
additives- Ada Bacter 100, Clear super, Tourmaline bc, ATM Colony
Hard scape- 55 year old cedar stump.
Ferts- EI dosing

So i guess ill just start off by saying my love for planted aquariums started about 9 months ago when i saw one for the first time on YouTube. I thought to my self, what a beautiful sight to see and be able to control in your own house. To me this wasn't going to just be a one month and the tanks done project but instead turned into a 9 month project to get where i am today. Being 17 years old and dealing with going to school and working and also researching for this project was a handful but i was determined to make my dream come true!

What did i do to start making this dream become a reality? Every day for the next 6 months i was on the computer researching and researching and looking through the forums and watching every single solitary YouTube video that their is to watch on high tech tank and medium to low tech tanks, just filling my brain full of info so that when the day came to put this dream together, it would be in my eyes perfect. So i started my research around October. Now when i say research i don't mean writing up essays and then reading them over, research for me was just learning as much as possible and taking it all in and remembering the info. This process was probably the hardest time, taking about 3 hours out of my day each day and loving every moment of it!

Now during this period of time i started looking into what tanks their were out on the market and what not and all of the rimless high quality ones just seemed to be out of my budget, so what did i do? I looked everywhere on the internet for the cheapest place to order glass from and ended up building my own Tank! Following this i decided that it would be best for me to just build my own stand to make everything just right for me and my family! This process took about 3 months to do and during this time i was ordering the needed supply's so that i would have the time to make sure that i had all the needed supply's before i was getting my plants in.
8ZGZbLwCHzCYaCFCUgAFXfAxMGh3kphBCcdUwFqtQ28=w216-h162-p-no.jpg
Pnl9KL-f4m0zasj5NRSYf3irPus3IvUzzZIpbKWGv78=w216-h162-p-no.jpg

How did i get my hardscape? I knew from the start that i was going to want to have driftwood in my scape instead of rocks so i was constantly looking around for some nice wood on the internet but just couldn't find my self buying a peace that i had not held. During this time i ended up having to go to my grandmas for a motocross race and while i was at her house i noticed that she had tons and tons of driftwood that she had been collecting over the years at a spring that she would go to every summer with the whole family. One stuck out to me and it was a red cedar stump that had great character to it and i knew at that moment that it was going to be the peace. Now i knew that cedar had sap that can kill fish from the toxins in it, but i also new that if the peace was old enough that it would have already been dried out and perfectly safe. Went to her and asked her how she had come across this peace of driftwood and she said she had found it around 55 years ago, about when my mom was just a little baby. Now by this time the wood would have already lost all its bark and any soft spots would have rotted away and this was truly the case as it was so hard that it would break any drill bit i tried to use to make holes to help sink it faster, and during the two months i had the wood, it never water logged. So what i had to do is take some slate and drill small wholes on the bottom of the wood and screw some stainless steel screws into it and that solved that problem!!
vvMhtXhmIN3rFlJMALIzrP0UpCD0U1KgLUkxTyDsC2U=w216-h162-p-no.jpg

Following all this i got my aqua soil and all my additives an what i did was i put the aqua soil in the tank and added the hardscape and just started playing around with it for the next month until i finally found the perfect spot and look that i wanted. Now i knew that planting was going to be one of the hardest processes, because if you didnt know how plants matured that the scape could be thrown way off and end up not looking as natural as planned, so what i did was i took pictures of my tank with the soil and hardscape in it and went to corel draw which is a computer program that allows you to insert photos and make art. I began making up a list of plants that i wanted and finally was able to come up with the perfect look. This process took me around one week. now of course i new that the way the soil was going to be sloped was going to turn out different as i still had three more bags to use so i tryed my best with what i had.
2a3fRLEqDHiJd-b2ifi0fqqK0uFi68YUQdQD_4rj8Uc=w203-h162-p-no.jpg

Knowing how expensive aquarium plants are, i decided to make a immersed plant setup to prepare for the day of planting. I used a 50gallon tank and made my own lighting with 15 cfl 1600 lumen 6500k lights that my dads shops always had. In sense i had basically made $20 turn into $300+ in two months. Since this isn't a journal on this immersed setup ill just share two pics=).
first day planted
P9RTOQ46C2zXxiSifST3U4HLgJ4g2sleDNw7Q0l2aYY=w216-h162-p-no.jpg

last day before plants were trimmed
IMG_1518.JPG

Now i thought to my self, i really want moss but i dont want it taking away from the scape so i went researching on moss and came across mini fissidens and mini pellia. I ended up using Tom's idea on dry starting it the "blender method" and since i had tons of experience of immersed plants now, i thought this was the perfect thing to do! It took only two weeks for the moss to attach and actually started growing and was about 1/15 inch by the time i flooded the tank and started a week long process of trying to get as much ammonia out of the aqua soil before planting which i did 70% water changes each day for that week before the plants arrived.
8NDMEyQQ3TDGrJtqbqunoVtkqIQW8XBfd-4mFCa5InY=w289-h162-p-no.jpg
IMG_4831.JPG

Now the fun part! Planting!!! I received my plants last Friday and planted on that same day which took me 8 hours of cleaning and pruning the plants and then planting(since i was the only person. Hope you enjoyed my long story and hope that you can watch my scape hopefully mature into something amazing! Here are the pics!!!!!
IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

c14c16a179d3b5a9679f8b57506f06cd.jpg
fad8b26775b2f1f7ffe8bb7617df3d5e.jpg
0dbbfb3d2e39309af9a30fa738869eb5.jpg
c0aff0b22a5c08b030a61d68607b7a58.jpg
6a1134018b87c66c7649f1adfb565f65.jpg
3b30353d4f1dd73456abdf20b434b1ac.jpg
7393e1abae51ee9ecb53683322874b04.jpg
dbf9a0190539c44eb62033f1741116ff.jpg
ce6346a452ec5e6c607d12843b8f15d9.jpg
e54ffd9b53d56b982f28cd69da9fb855.jpg
f9ab0a055ecd17d2280fa3338d9a673a.jpg
b4f52b6de5d379ae015e3cdcbb79643a.jpg
8a45897105d9eec22fafe8c797b773c4.jpg
b20676665dfe3794716a9c0aa21558ac.jpg
fce403e1efcd77737b3c2569de250181.jpg
24a34c8dbbe90ada7103c7564852d1b5.jpg
825b39410447522b2cc111462f0527ac.jpg
5cca80d2910b90239c3aeef4d3278f5f.jpg
abaf137aa6fcfd0d908346f8ccca2b4d.jpg
dfa27cf78f0c1ba63ceb4bddde6a4b69.jpg
6b5a4868891d9561d8797c88a1aa3f3c.jpg
bba72a104cde473baf42f3586e2cd666.jpg

I'll post the plant list when I get back home!!! How everyone enjoys the first parts!! I'll keep everyone updated with acouple pics each week!
Also here is a pic of what my ei dosing will be for the first few weeks
a82c503391671ff574ad7c8187941c7d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks :) I really wish I would I banked the soil up more toward the back, but I'll just make up for it by trimming the plants different! Can't wait to see what a week can do!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think this kind of scape, island-ish, really needs banking up of the soil, looks good as is to me! But I can be kind of neurotic myself, midnight last night I was pouring in some extra gravel in a rescape I did, just a half cup of the stuff, but I felt it needed it. LOL So if you're reallyy fussy like me, and it starts getting to you, you can always use a little cup or a small bottle to get some extra soil in between the plants, up to an inch deeper post planting, the plants never seem to really mind in my experience.

Yea I'm fine with it just something that I wish I would have looked at doing. I didn't really test or how it would be so I don't want to try it lol!!!

Looks like a serious project...looking forward to seeing this mature.
How have you found the Kessil Tuna Sun? I've been looking at this as an option for my new scape. I'm undecided between this and the Ecotech Radion XR15w.

I can't really say anything about the lighting yet as I'm not sure how well it will grow the plants, but I will say that if you plan to have a large peace of driftwood that it really cuts a lot of the light out since it really is one point that spreads

So just a little update, Wednesday I will be getting the fish, which is 6 green tetra 6 rummy nose tetra and 4 oto cats. It's been roughly two weeks now so you will see a big difference for sure when I add the pics on Wednesday!!! The kessil lights are doing great and all the plants are showing great growth and I'm having to do weekly trimming on the carpet and some of the other plants right now. Be back soon!!!

so i got my fish today! I ended up going with rummy nose tetra and green tetra! I am drip acclimating them for the next hour or so then i will add them in! Also i think i might be running into my first i guess you could say main problem. I think it mght be a potassium deficiency but i am not sure as of yet and will post some pics soon of all that. Also my water for the past two days has been semi creamy colored and im guessing i was about to have a bacteria bloom? I did a 50% water change today and that helped it out a good amount and now im just waiting to see how well the water clears up once everything settles down. Images and updates to come later today!

Very good start and very interesting story to read! Thanks for sharing this.
You make your preparation (and homework) right, I'm very impressed that you was able to resist urge to setup any tank and pour the water in, but just learn. Most people I know learn all this the hard way when the water is already in and make a lot of mistakes, I been there too.
Interesting story about your grandma. Is there any particular reason she has been collecting driftwood for so many years? I saw on internet sculptures from driftwood, or small furniture items. Wonder if your grandma is that kind of artist.

About creamy colored water. If your water gets little brown coloration - that's most likely tanins leaching from the wood. Giving in mind the size of wood you'll have tanins for several weeks. Placing some activated carbon to your filter will help to reduce coloration. Just don't forget to throw away that carbon after 1 month of usage.

Thanks =] the driftwood was boiled three times at each time being 4 hours long so I would say a good 70% of the tannins are gone since after that it soaked in a tub of water for three months. She actually collected it because she has 10 Acres of land and love the way that driftwood looks. Trust me, I could make a 500gallon tank with one peace that she had their which would be the most amazing angel or cichlid tank if only hahah!!!! I actually made a video on the update of the tank, but sadly the quality of the video got stepped down quite a bit since I was downloading it to YouTube via my cell phone. The fish acclimated for two hours after I did my 50% water change. You will see what I mean when I say the water has a milky cream look to it. Not a ton but just enough for me to think possible bacteria bloom. Let me know what you think :) I will try to get some better pictures of the tank next week when I get back from my trip to my grandmothers house. :)

also i was able to get a semi good shot of my single Oto.
IMG_4849.JPG

I am working on getting the algae problem fixed and have upped my water circulation to full blast now, and the oto seems to really like to hang out where the most flow is. Also i upped my co2 because i believe that it was a little low. And also starting next monday i am going to try and start fully dosing the ei method.

Future inhabitants might include but are not limited to changes-
CRS probably ared the s-ss+ grades to start with since i am new to shrimp as well.( i do have ghost shrimp in the tank atm and they are doing fantastic!)
Salty pepper corys (roughly 15)
Carbon Rili Shrimp
Blue dream shrimp
now for the shrimp i plan to have ether the carbon with the crs or the blue dream with the crs. Still looking at other options though =). I am in the process of making my own hang on the side fan for the tank out of acrylic so that i can cool the tank temps down into the 73* F range.

Thanks again for all the nice comments everyone =)

e5d78a802d4d4c59ffe1959627c59731.jpg

lol that's pretty bad haha! Idk why I'm laughing right now.... I guess you could say it was not a bacteria bloom lol. Any suggestions on what could have caused it would be great! I'm thinking it was the lighting and not the ferts as I was doing half the ferts and having two water changes a day so I think it's the lighting?

Fish are doing ok, should I just do two 50% water changes back to back or what?????

Oh, that's bad. Do you have UV sterilizer? Or maybe you can borrow it from someone for several days? Usually UV does help to get rid of green water.

Back