• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

Steven c

Any one help out, I have a plant which is kind of Amazon sword like but has red/purple edge to the leaves. Think it's pretty common as I got it from p@h.....Thanks

Sounds like Echinodorus 'Red Diamond' or Echinodorus 'Rose'.........but a pic. would really help ;)

Yeah I'm having a few probs with a photo, I have Flickr and a iPhone but struggling lol thanks for the reply will check them out..

Can someone maybe check my Flickr feed to see the plant in question my Flickr I D is charter638. Thanks

17974907136_78533f17d9_k.jpg

Yep - it's Cordyline.....or "fire-palm", also called.
Not an aquatic plant at all - but will make you a nice potted houseplant, if you remove lowest leaf and stick it in some plant-soil, and place it on your window.

Retraction of comments, just relised I didn't buy from p@h but did see the same plants there, im gutted though as I brought a large selection from the internet and these were the only ones I liked and planned to keep, it's a shame as they seemed to be growing nicely but I'm sure that won't last then?

They won't last - they die slowly, but they enevitably die.
Do yourself and the plant the favour of making them a nice potted window-plant.

Yeah I have already, the misses was happy to take them off my hands as she liked them too, they aren't looking to great in the pot tho, suddenly drooped. So you say take off the bottom leaves and just stick them in some garden compost?

Nice one mate, I know it's a pain but can someone look on my Flickr "charter638" and tell me the name of my new plants I got? Thanks Steve.

Still struggling with uploading from my Flickr to here using iPhone, so any help or link would also be gratefull.

Thanks for retrieving the photos Tim, after googling the names giving I think vinkenoog is spot on, thanks all!

Hi all,
Top one is Pogostemon Helferi, bottom one looks like a Hygrophila species, perhaps Polysperma?
The top one is definitely Pogostemon helferi. The bottom one isn't a Hygrophila sp., because they have opposite leaves. Your plant has alternate leaves.
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Looking at the shoot architecture (the leaves are in a spiral) that is a <"definite possibility">.

cheers Darrel

Back