• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windowsill Nature

Thank you Alexander
yes, the plants are pearling during the day. Plus there is sone emergent growth for free co2 access. Therefore more oxygen released. I am not scientific only an observer :)
Also
No ferts
No co2
No glute

Only dechlorinated water change 3 or 4 times per year due to mineral build up. Tap water is very hard and slightly alkaline with nitrates at 20/30 ppm.

Water parameters are excellent and stable.

And a little extra food for fish per day.

Plant list
sagittaria subulata
hygrophila siemensis
ludwigia repens
egeria densa
crinum calamistratum
hygrophila polysperma
crypt walkeri
A stem of rotala macrandra (holding on)
touch of marsilea
Water lettuce
duckweed

Hi all
Trying to balance out the stronger sun we're seeing now I've had to make a background for the windowsill tank. This should mean that the majority of the direct light will be hitting the floating plants on the surface.

I tried to be a bit artistic and introduce a bit of fun with the background, however the tannins in the water and reflection from the plants have put a slight spanner in the works by making the blue look green :/

I also had a spare led light knocking around which I'm using here as a light for the photos. With the naked eye the tank is fully visible in the natural light with the background applied. But introduce a camera and it's very dim looking.
20150502_160447_zpsv47nu3lk.jpg

20150503_093938_zpsvicrpcme.jpg

Thanks @tim appreciate the positive feedback.

I do have a couple of thoughts id like to throw out to anyone watching this thread regarding trimming some of this back.

At the moment I'm thinking that plant mass is pretty essential what with the current season and months to come. However I'm also thinking that stimulating some potential new growth and allowing some light to reach the lower levels would / could help with the balance against algae.

Any suggestions on trimming back, primarily the dwarf sag, and opinions on whether this would be beneficial or possibly detrimental.

In true balancing fashion, I feel there could be a happy medium in there somewhere

Many thanks
nathan

Just a great tank and an inspiration...personally I'd just leave be. If it's not broken (it's biologically stable and aesthetically awesome) then don't try to fix it. Also I find that with tannins a plain black background works best...but that said, love that blue sky, those fluffy white clouds and especially the seagulls:)

I usually just trim the longest outer leaves off my dwarf sag down to the substrate, time consuming this way but it seems to fill in again fairly quickly, I have uprooted and thinned out the plants previously but this requires too many waterchanges afterwards for my liking and available time, trimming is good for the plants IMO allows new younger growth through little and often seems to be the best approach for low tech slow growing scapes so as not to impact the plant mass too much.

Thanks guys, I might have a play and trim a small section of its longer older leaves and watch how it reacts. I have in the past hacked a few plants back to substrate level leaving an ugly 'crown'?? effect on the substrate. But dwarf sag seems pretty resilient and it just bounced back quickly.

I like the idea of putting a bit of structure into it, but that could be famous last words :)

@Iain Sutherland Thanks
i really like the dimensions kinda coins the slice phrase well.
One of my lfs has got two on the shelves for sale, needless to say I have to resist each time. Interesting you say about outside. I fancy a real crack at the British biotope which is definately an outside job. Maybe on the other side of my window next time :) I'm moving as well and am renting in between currently so only so much i can do atm. Pain really.
Thanks again

First time I've seen this tank.

Beautiful work and an inspiration, especially in terms of being low cost, low energy and having a sustainabillity dimension. Whether we like it or not, this hobby is not sustainable at all (wild caught fish, gigantic energy consumption in green houses, aquariums, equipment shipped around the world and so on) and this tank goes in another direction than most others. Really great and inspirational.

I look forward to following its progress.

@Henrik J.
Thank you.
It's something I feel passionate about and wanted to try. So far so good ;)
It would be great if a few more people try it, I'm hoping someone with some real talent for scaping is up for it.

Hi All
if anyone is interested I post videos of this tank on Instagram.
As I've said before I'm passionate about my tanks. And whilst this style is never going to take over mainstream I feel that it should at least get more exposure as an alternative. I have 2,000 followers already seeing this tank and others similar on a daily basis and if you can help spread the word that would be great.
Thank you :thumbup:

Back