• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Chi tank has some small issues

JamieB

Hi all

I think most of these are down to the filtration not being up to the job but I am planning to upgrade this to a Fluval 2213 when funds allow..

Specs:
Fluval Chi 19L with standard filtration
Arcadia classica strech LED 8 hours a day
Easycarbo .4ml a day
Tropica standard ferts 2 pumps a week
JBL ProScape plant soil

Plants:
Monte carlo
Simanesis 53B (too big but easy to grow and I can trim it)

Fish:
1 betta

The problems I have are only fairly small..
One is I had to up root a small portion of the MC and it's having trouble getting rooted again, doesn't help that my betta likes to sleep in it and wedge himself in so it does get moved a bit but the other side where it wasn't uprooted is taking quite nicely. What's the best way to get this to root in properly? It also looks like it's dying out a bit on that side but I think this is because the roots aren't in, not sure if I should prune it a bit to promote growth?

Second is I am getting an almost transparent algae or biofilm on the inside of the glass, very tough to get off, takes a lot of scrubbing with my metal blade and keeps coming back.

I have a couple of pics, please be advised that once I get rid of the stupid filter in the middle then siamensis is fairly well lit as the filter blocks the light at the moment....

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

I have seen people using cocktail sticks pushed in to the soil at an angle to keep plants in place until they have rooted well, might help.

I agree with EnderUK that you need to add more ferts

I think a lighting period drop might help from 8 to 6.

Jim

Thanks guys, I've now changed the filter so it's a lot more even now and upped the fert dosage to twice a week. I've run out of Tropica stuff so now using Seachem Flourish Excel, standard dosage for the 19l 2 times a week.

Couple of new pics with the new filtration system... Wish someone did a smaller inline heater as with glass lily pipes it'd look pretty great, forgiving the horribly scratched tank!

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

The piece of sponge on the output is to disperse the flow a bit as bettas are not big fans of too much flow.

Last edited:
Thanks I've just read through that. Some great advice.

I've replanted some of the MC in some small sections so they stick in the substrate.

My girlfriend thinks the tank needs more plants and I do agree but not sure how to do this, what to add etc. Anyone want to advise what I can add and where?

Anubias, Java Fern and some sort of moss should fit on the wood. Some floating plants may be good and should help with some of your problems by diffusing the light a bit more. Don't worry too much about the floating plants' effect on the carpet, since you are adding carbon, they should still do well for you, they may grow a tad bit slower but the tank should be more stable with some floating plants.

Would Java fern not be too tall for the tank?

Leaning towards repens and Christmas moss at the moment. Thoughts?

I've run out of Tropica stuff so now using Seachem Flourish Excel

Are you aware Flourish excel is liquid carbon and not ferts? Adding excel will increase growth so a complete fert is a must.

Adding anubias and ferns would work well otherwise something easy like Heteranthera zosterifolia or hygro difformis would suit.

I meant "Flourish" sorry, not excel, I do have liquid carbon as well but using EasyCarbo as it's cheaper

I only found out about TNC recently, will be buying some of their stuff, I was thinking of switching to EI ferts but not really sure, I have 3 planted tanks at the mo so could save a lot of money? 2 I dose with liquid carbon and the 3rd is not even fertilised

Back