• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi ADA,

yes it is so. Brighty K has no N&P.. but I thought there should be as first nitrifying bacteria available, before I dose anything other than K. Or am I wrong? And I must say, I didn't experience any nitrit peak yet (which I do find a bit strange actually).

Great tank, wish I had gone with the dry start method and also started with EI dosing as have a small amount of algae. Really nice tank will watch for future posts.

Reactions: DGR
Thanks ADA, I've made some tests today and the NH4 and NO3 are both 0. Tthe nitrit peak should be already gone. So tomorrow I will pump up the doses and we'll see what happens...

Hi all,

After a few weeks of silence, I've decided to make a quick update. In the time, when I was absent, I've fought (actually I'm still fighting) with the green fuzz algae, which I've already showed. The original cause was too much potassium fertilizing. The layout about a week ago was like that:

16882906201_266bbfba6b_c.jpgArrested Development by Daniel GR., on Flickr

which wasn't very appealing. Since then I've changed the fertilizing plan and reduced it to a minimum. I think you will see the difference alone.

But before that....
A few new plants were added.

3 x Bucephalandra Brownie Phoenix
2 x Bucephalandra Brown Corona
1 x Bucephalandra Animus
1 x Bucephalandra Belindae

I've decided to "pimp-up" the carpet a bit and search for even more natural look. A few years ago, I've taken a close-up snap in a forest near my hometown in Bulgaria and the same photo I've used now for an inspiration in my layout.
8572566574_d81cee909e_c.jpgUntitled by Daniel GR., on Flickr

And a mix of Eleocharis acicularis Mini and Marsilea Crenata was added to the existing mix of HC, MCC and (in some parts) a bit Vesicularia Ferriei.

So enough talking. Enjoy the pics!

16927650561_a640c5daea_c.jpgNemesis rises back by Daniel GR., on Flickr

16742481629_32ed7063f3_c.jpgDetails 1 by Daniel GR., on Flickr

16741230090_6d054162ec_c.jpgDetails 2 by Daniel GR., on Flickr

16306302054_f0c49c3028_c.jpgDetails 3 by Daniel GR., on Flickr

Cheers Daniel

Last edited:
Wow... how could I miss your update Daniel!

Absolutely stunning, natural look in your little tank. Looks like it's coming all together now!
Give it a little bit more time and the algae will disappear!

Nice one :thumbup:

Hi all,

Probably I should make a little update on the current scape.
I am still fighting with the green algae, but it does look better now. Thanks for the help, Chris! I really appreciate it!

I've changed the Inflow pipe, because of the CO2 distribution. Lily Pipe Spin is a great Inflow pipe though, but I presume not for this kind of layout. All of the plants are growing great! Yesterday I've trimmed the Fissidens, therefore the poodle-look on the rocks and I've put the small wabi-kusa that I've made under the rock beside the path. The shrimps have destroyed the little sand path in the middle (I am not surprised at all). I must fix it... but not now. I hope I will win against the algae at the end.

The mini wabi-kusa:
16503139553_ca35afaeba_c.jpgMini Wabi-Kusa by Daniel GR., on Flickr

The current state of the tank:
17330207516_f84054070c_c.jpg

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,

looks like the tank is heading in the right direction now :thumbup:
I love the snails sitting "in-the-green" ;)

What happened to the sand in the middle?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I still have problems with the algae, and I'm clueless why. They are not so much, as in the beginning, but still there...
The shrimps happened to the sand in the middle.:D They are bringing constantly soil from anywhere they can get some. A 'hard workers'... what can I say...

Cheers,
Daniel

Thank you Viktor! I've covered the tank complete and will do a blackout for the next 3 days. I don't need to shut off the Twinstar, right?

Hi all,

Today I've ended the blackout. When I took off all the covering layers, I was very positively surpised that there was almost no algae to see. Thanks for the advice, Viktor! The shrimps and the snails have eaten it up and all that was left, I've vacuumed up. I've 'planted' some stones with Fissidens sp. Rufulus, which were (and some of them still are) under dry start outside of the tank.

16811990023_6d71461846_c.jpgFissidens sp. Rufulus by Daniel GR

The moss looks amazing underwater too!

I've made some detailed shots today and I hope you will enjoy them.

17457041898_c84228e469_c.jpgDetails 1 by Daniel GR

17457425410_672cf6d7a0_c.jpgDetails 6 by Daniel GR

17457040248_74bf04e4ec_c.jpgDetails 3 by Daniel GR

17457038458_855ffec1f1_c.jpgDetails 5 by Daniel GR

17457039308_f286e41c54_c.jpgDetails 4 by Daniel GR

17457041218_6f64de13f3_c.jpgDetails 2 by Daniel GR

and of course the front shot.

17457037198_56bfa2cb92_c.jpgNemesis 14.May by Daniel GR

Cheers,
Daniel

Very cool. This tanks looks great and now as it looks healthier it looks sexy too :)
Next task is the trimming :)

Seen that you used the spin type glass and replaced to the lily form. In this size i usually prefer the spin since these lilys with a bit stronger flow makes headaches only. Brush algae usually.
But now as your plant mass is there brush do not have a chance. :)

Thank you for the reply and for the positive feedback, Viktor! I've planned some trimming for the next water change... perhaps on sunday.

In my previous setup I've used the Do!aqua Violet. It has a thinner profile, than this Lily and the flow was too strong for this setup. The one I'm using now is the Lily pipe from Aqua Rebell. It has a big round exit and the flow is really not so strong. I would say it's something in the middle between the spin and the violet. :)

I'm starting to think for adding some fishes too...

Hi all,

There is absolutely no (visible) algae. As I wrote, the trimming was done a week ago. The moss would need a cut soon too. 4 Otos were introduced to the shrimps and they are already 9 days there. Still no deads, which makes me really happy. Some of them though are looking a bit tired most of the time (when the lights are on) and they just hang on the glass, or on the small EHEIM filter in the back. By the way the filter will be needed next weekend in the second aquarium, so I'm thinking about of getting an Eheim Skimmer or not... What do you think?

Yesterday I've tested a new lens (Nikkor AF 35 - 70 mm). I didn't use Nikon before, so I'm not very used to it. It gives a better depth, but it's not very sharp in the background.

Enjoy it!

17984421966_6fba2f7640_c.jpgNemesis.23.May by Daniel GR

Cheers,
Daniel

Back