• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Starting point Wabi-Kusa

Okay so maybe you can help me out with some plant selection. I've got a fish bowl I want to use (easy to cover with foil) and an ordinary desk light I've been using to grow some kitchen herbs. Are there any do's and dont's when it comes to plants? Do you normally use plants that have been growing emersed or submerged? The plants I would order with my normal plant supplier usually grow emersed, so little adapting required I guess. I have some spare akadama lying around which I can use for soil. I've seen the videos on substrate balls, which I could make mixing some akadama with ordinary garden soil. Or I just go with akadama in the bottom of the bowls and nothing else. I don't want to hijack your topic here, so just let me know and I'll open a seperate thread :)

Okay so maybe you can help me out with some plant selection. I've got a fish bowl I want to use (easy to cover with foil) and an ordinary desk light I've been using to grow some kitchen herbs. Are there any do's and dont's when it comes to plants? Do you normally use plants that have been growing emersed or submerged? The plants I would order with my normal plant supplier usually grow emersed, so little adapting required I guess. I have some spare akadama lying around which I can use for soil. I've seen the videos on substrate balls, which I could make mixing some akadama with ordinary garden soil. Or I just go with akadama in the bottom of the bowls and nothing else. I don't want to hijack your topic here, so just let me know and I'll open a seperate thread :)

Hi J, You can use both emersed or submerged plants I use my trimmings from my tanks.As you said submerged plants take longer to adapt.
As to the substrate its up to how you want the W-K to look. I like to just put the substrate into the bowl but W-K balls look cool too and more in the true style of W-K.

With the balls its more of a chaotic plant growth as you are just placing the plants on the ball at random ? and letting them do there own thing.
With the substrate in the bottom you can place plants where you want them to make the design you want :)

With the akadama or inert substrates add a crush up a fert tab or two this will feed the plants for months.

Let me know how things go good luck and enjoy :thumbup: PM me your thread page when its up and running I will take a look ;)

Hi All, W-K Season is here :) Trying out some new plants too

123 Grow pots Hygrophila Araguaia, Elocharis Acicularis mini, Staurogyne Repens, Utricularia graminifolia,--- Pot plants-- Alternanthera Rosaefolia mini, Bacopa Australis, Ammania Gracllis

So used these to make up 2 W-K plus some moss Christmas moss, Riccia fluitan, that I already had :D

025_zps9ryzncwl.jpg

027_zpsj46ypzy2.jpg

So for that last one you did use a substrate ball or something similar? Are there some work-in-progress pics maybe? :)

Hi J, The ball is a cut up stocking" Not the wife's got told off last time"" :) Filled with old Substrate and a fert tab then tie a knot and plant up having the knot at the bottom.

Sorry no progress photos :(

Looking good Roy. Watch out if your fertilising these, I don't think the UG would prefer it too much when emersed.

Hi Michael, Thank you :thumbup: There is not a lot of UG on / in these just trying things out.I know UG does not like ferts Thanks for the tip though;) Will be planting the rest up on old dead rotting wood:) UG Should like it there other plants grow well on this too :)

Back