• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Warm water from the tap

BurningRanger

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone uses warm boiler water from the tap for their shrimp rather than using cold water and heating it up?

I'm thinking about getting a aquanano 40 for shrimp and it would save a lot of tiem and oher if I didn't have to warm up the water with a submersible heater

If you use your warm tap water there will be chlorine and you need to treat water for it.Other than this water chemistry must be same.Unless your boiler adds up some trace elements which modern day combination boilers are safe in this respect,as far as I know....

I was just wondering if anyone uses warm boiler water from the tap for their shrimp rather than using cold water and heating it up?

Yes, for years. 50% changes at a time with hot/cold tap water mixed. It may depend on your warm boiler I guess, mine has caused no issues whatsoever.

By the way, copper is essential for shrimp survival. They use Hemocyanins(two copper atoms) for oxygen transport around the body and hemocyanins also possibly plays function in their immune system. It's just that higher concentration of copper is lethal to them, possibly for the same reason.

I wouldn't be too brave with cold water changes if it drops the temperature too much. I once did a large water change with cold water by accident, hadn't seen the boiler had run out after I changed water in multiple tanks. I had a few shrimp deaths the next day, so I'd advice to match the temperature as close as possible. I keep cherry shrimp, they tolerate really low(12C) and high temperatures once accustomed to them but not when changed rapidly.
Other than that I pour the water directly from the tap and dechlorinate the entire tank directly inside it without any losses ever.

Last edited:
Back