• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windowsill Nature

Akwaskape I really like this style of tank and your executed it perfectly! Getting my head thinking about how I can justify a 2nd tank haha.
Very well done :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the windowsill tank. Do you have much in the way of algae problems or is it intermittant with the seasons? And is there much in the way of maintenance?

8!!! In my previous house I did get a fair few past the Mrs but no where near 8! Good effort mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SuperColey1
thank you.
algae was a big issue early on, but by sticking to the basic principles of balancing a tank and alot of patience I've managed to get it to a point whereby algae is minimal. I mean even on the inanimate objects like the clear silicon.
Early on, the extent of the algae problem was strands and almost cotton wool balls of green stringy stuff. Which at one point dominated the tank. But regular removal eventually cleared it up and it just stopped. I guess it could be seasonal. This is the second summer approaching and so far so good. Limited water changes like twice a year could mean the the water column is pretty sparse nutrient wise and this could be a more beneficial factor for this summer.
Thanks
nathan

Interesting. I may try something like this soon, you've inspired me :) I will cheat and give it 6 months under normal low light to mature first then transfer it to a windowsill once it's got going ;)

@luckyjim referring to your summer project, some of the info here may help a little.
Not a British biotope though, which would be awesome. Just not sure I could find an abandoned shopping trolley small enough to fit it lol. On a serious note imho dirt would be the way to go for the natural sunlight to work and if your after British natives and marginals etc then wayside aquatics in Doddinghurst would be a good place to source I think. I have no affiliation with them I just know they really know their stuff and cater a lot for pond and marginals etc last time I was in James the owner was showing me a coldwater project he had set up on specifically for a very rare dwarf lilly he had. Good luck.

The Sagittaria subulata has begun to bloom. Not sure if it's a coincidence but it's happened within 4 days of the ludwigia in the background emerging.
20150419_161431_zps57hcva2a.jpg

20150421_113614_zpsoigxfvy7.jpg

20150421_113643_zps3qndiwgt.jpg

Thanks greenfinger2 it's a first for me, rather pleased. The amount of dwarf sag in this tank could mean a few more to come as well (greenfingers crossed )

Ok so the sun's out, the days are long enough and we've got some emergent growth. So I've decided to do without the airpump. This tank is officially no tech/energy.
Balancing a tank whether high or low tech is critical.

The major consideration for me and my requirements is that low tech is sustainable and long term. Whereas high is not efficient, its costly and short term. And then there is the slice in between where tanks get caught in that 'it's low tech' but there are high tech elements which gets very confusing.

Hope you enjoy the pics guys and gals. It's always interesting to hear what people make of this tank.

20150430_174437_zps7jfrckyo.jpg
20150430_174348_zpsqv2a09zf.jpg
2015-04-30%2021.31.31_zpskdccc1es.jpg
2015-04-30%2021.31.53_zpsqlofphgk.jpg
DSC_0033_zpsdxrnbbum.jpg

It's always interesting to hear what people make of this tank.

I'll tell you what I think of this tank... It's a stunner! :thumbup: Keep it up!

P.S Can we have a plant list please? I can spot a few familiar plants, but it will be good to know what else you have in there. Cheers.

Last edited:
Nice nano pond. Do I understand correctly: you removed air pump because of long day? I.e. the light is enough to get a lot of oxygen from plants? Do you use any ferts?

Back