• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED advice?

Polly

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted, but still lurking.

For a long while now, I've been wanting to change the lighting over my Juwel Rio 125 (2x T8s) over to LED. But I also want to not make the living room look as if a UFO has landed LOL So, for various reasons, I'd like to keep the original lid too.

I also don't want a stark white light that reduces all the colours of my fish. From what I've read, the plants won't really care what colour the lights are, as long as there is light.

The tank - Rio 125 with Juwel filter. Cat Litter substrate which has been great for the fish and plants, but I hate the terracotta colour, so have been looking for an alternative that will be dark but essentially the same. Looks like Colombo Flora Base Black is a possibility, just mulling that over.

The plants - currently lots (and I mean lots!) of Rotala indica, java fern, anubias, a couple of amazon swords and some crypts. If I do change the substrate, I'll be ordering more plants to add variety.

I've been running the tank as a low light, low tech and it's working, apart from the rotala going nuts and having to be cut back. Algae is present, but only a little, have had to wait quite a while to be able to buy a couple of algae eating fish :)

So, on to the Lights.

Having spent quite some time looking online, the Arcadia Classica Stretch 60cm looks promising, the blurb mentioning enhancing the red and blue colours of the fish. But do I need one or two for a low light tank? And how to fix the light under the lid?

Has anyone done this successfully ? (diy is not a problem, OH is a dab hand and would do a good job)

Are there any other options that I may have missed? I'm not planning to spend £000s on this, if I did, I'd spend it upgrading the tank ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading :)

From the blurb on their site you would need 2. I would suggest that the luminaire above a 125 would be about 45cm and their PAR reading is 15 for the 50mm. Seems pretty low PAR to me.

I wouldn't advise fitting a retail LED unit within a hood. The casing on LED units is not just for aesthetics. The whole of the back will have been designed as heatsinking and fitting it into a lid would heat the lid up a lot. You would also have heat problems in the summer months.

One of the advantages of LED is that whilst they get very hot, the heat is directed away from the tank through the heatsinks whilst traditional light by their nature radiate heat all around them. So an LED unit within a hood will trap that heat in.

When I have put LEDs within a hood (DIY) I have made a false ceiling within the hood where the LEDs are seated and the heatsinks behind and then used fans to move air in through one end and out the other.

Thanks Supercoley, good point about the unit being a heatsink too. I have LED lighting everywhere in the house and completely forgot about that in my excitement at finding these lights - Doh!

Thanks alto, I saw those, but apart from not being able to find the tropical one to buy (one tropical, and one daylight) they are completely the wrong size for my holders - I have 600mm tubes, so they would either be far too small, or far too long :( unless I rip out the ballast and holders, which kind of misses the point with just buying the led tubes :-/

Or is it that I should buying the smaller tubes and somehow fixing them in, although I can't see how?

Maybe I should contact Arcadia?

a friend has the Arcadia Classica Stretch but it is low light imho......i personally use the overhanging Fluval Led luminiere which gives great results plant wise....not cheap though

one is stretch is not enough, you will have dark corners.
the fish do look good under them(neons and galaxy rasbroas)

Thanks tiger tim and greenmac.

Lowlight is fine, the tank is low tech, and the fish will appreciate it. The plants are mostly low light too.

I liked the length of the 'stretch' - at least it is as long as my present lamps.

Good to know the fish look good under the stretch, no point in pretty fish if their colours are lost because of the lighting.

Thanks alto, I saw those, but apart from not being able to find the tropical one to buy (one tropical, and one daylight) they are completely the wrong size for my holders - I have 600mm tubes, so they would either be far too small, or far too long unless I rip out the ballast and holders, which kind of misses the point with just buying the led tubes :-/
Sorry for the confusion, poor choice in links, try reading through this page - with the adapter clips, the LED tubes should just "click in" (for most standard length tubes)
You might also check with Juwel & see if they will have a lighting upgrade out soon

I recently brought the small 11w stretch, it is very nicely made but the controller is a bit cheap. Also the light from it takes some getting used to, but plants do look pretty under it. I found it too low light to use only one, even in a nano tank like mine, Good value for money but not if you have to buy two and possibly an extra controller.
I'm saving mine back for a low tech setup. I still think T8's work better though.

the Arcadia Classica Stretch 60cm looks promising
These are lower lighting than T8 tubes, I have seen them in action against a single tube T8 and T8 is certainly brighter. They quote 15PAR at 400mm, a single T8 is about the same if not more than this. See graph below. With two tubes and reflectors you will be getting maybe 80PAR odd. So bit of a downgrade really.

PARvsDistVariousBulbs2.jpg

If you want more light, upgrade to T5 with reflector and this will take you into high light. Juwel T5 light unit for Rio 125 is £80 inc tubes on Ebay.

Even easier are these http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...antis-easy-led-universal-lighting-freshwater/

The 590mm is £113 and uses the existing T8 tube holders and they are equivalent to T5 output. Dimmer might be required as well.

Once again shows cheap LED's are cheap and can't really be compared to T8 and T5.

Thanks alto, that page makes more sense of trying to fix them in :) - If I can locate some, still haven't found anyone who actually have them in stock :(

Have emailed Juwel but no reply :( I'm astonished that there wasn't even a stock reply. I know where I will be spending my money, and it won't be with a company which can't even be bothered to talk to potential and existing customers. I have to say, I'm impressed with the communication between Arcadia and forum members. It makes good commercial sense to listen to what your customers actually want. So my next email is going to be to Arcadia ;)

ian m,

I don't want more light, it's about energy use ;) I have LED lighting all over the house and the aquarium now uses more energy in lighting than my living room with several wall lamps!

From what I've been reading, comparing the perceived light output between fluorescent tubes and LED tubes isn't really a good guide as the light given out by each type is different.

As this is a low light low tech aquarium, I have no need of high output lamps, but I do want them to show the colours of the fish and plants to their best. The fish I keep actually look better in lower light or shaded light, when their iridescence can be better seen ;)

Hi polly, do not want to promote my journal but this pic shows the color spectrum of the stretch fairly well, the only editing to the pic was increasing the exposure slightly but this is very close to what I could see by eye.
It does bring out color very nicely.
aZaYNRF.jpg

Thanks karla. That looks realy lovely and the plants certainly responded to the LED lighting :D

I have LED lighting everywhere in the house
Do bare in mind that most LED's are generally less efficient than T5 HO tubes.

A good quality T5 HO tube will produce 80-90 Lumens/watt compared to 30 Lumens per watt for smaller LED packages. This is why industry still uses fluorescent tubes, more light per watt (and considerably cheaper) and cheaper LED aquarium fixtures are not that bright.

However if you move to higher power LED's (and serious cost) 1.5Watt, 3Watt and above LED's, these are generally start at 100 lumen per watt.

Have spoken to both Juwel and Arcadia.

Arcadia, because their Eco Aqua lamps are just about unobtainable. This is because they are discontinued! But they now make the Classica LED lamp as a retrofit for T8 systems with a magnetic ballast, which looks just the ticket - except Juwel have just confirmed that my T8 light bar has an electronic ballast - AAAARrrgh

.now need to be very careful or you will get algae with this light level

And that's why I didn't just go out and buy the Juwel T5 light bar ;)

I want LED because of the look and the LONG TERM ENERGY SAVING, I have a low light tank for the same reason. It's all in my first post really ;) (tablet playing up, can't do italics)

Lighting and getting the right lighting is the most infuriating aspect of this hobby I think. They are either too dark too bright, too expensive or unobtainable, lighting has always been an issue for me.

LONG TERM ENERGY SAVING
But this is certainly not true for cheap LED's. Cheap LED lights are only 30lumens per Watt compared to 80-90 lumens per Watt for T5HO. However "big boy" and "big expensive" LED's easily start at 100 lumens per Watt and higher. Though it is a very moot point you will ever cover your costs for the extra 20 lumens per watt you may get compared to T5 HO.

However if you like the LED light produced and have easy dimmable control then go for it, but choosing aquarium LED so as to save energy should not be a reason.

Back