• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ultimate Pond

Nope, for that money i would create something different. A big pond filled with a tropical biotope bordering on a large cellarwindow. I've seen that done with a vietnamese river biotope, i would do that in a South american biotope.
And put a large greenhouse over it filled with tropical plants and orchids. Just my little idealized slice of jungle.

currently very seriously considering building an Walipini (underground greenhouse) with massive living tropical pool at the back wall for heat storage at my new place up here in the highlands.

among other plans. :)

Such a large pond doesnt need 50% waterchanges
image.jpg

A feature of that size would require a constant top up system, probably two 1" mains water supplied ball valves set at slightly different levels so as to coupe with the inevitable evaporation.
In the summer months, during hot weather both valves would quite likely be running continuously!
On similar size constructions that I have been involved with, we have had to install a substantial reservoir fitted with a large pump to coupe with start up & turn off times.
If you can imagine a static pond full of water, the daily evaporation would still be noticeable but when you turn on the water flow there will be a huge demand for water & the main pond will drop dramatically in order to supply the extra water required to operate the water falls.
The same applies but in reverse if the water flow is turned off as the excess water from the water falls and streams will have go somewhere.
So a large reservoir has be located below ground to deal with the changing water levels.
This in effect results in quite a lot of fresh water continually going into the feature ..... however substantial water changes may still be necessary depending on the design of the pond i.e. if it has auto back flush filters or high levels of fish.

Back