• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beach find wood id. Is is fish safe?

Lindy

Lovely trip to Ayr beach where there are piles of drift wood.
An id on this wood would be great as i haven't got a clue!
ef0d51d679edf3ec00cf724a1ad9010f.jpg

fde9d545c34c1d9bacfa33e08d2fbd81.jpg

444f211fa60b7168008c6a69054380b8.jpg

871c04975bc709ee794d1061511e60a0.jpg

5a8b54ab8d222ab8243d75d97be7be33.jpg

2bc5434f40c38df3f87fa8c608fcc85f.jpg

One stick in the last picture is a little red where it is damp from being under the sand. Any help much appreciated. ..

I know what type of wood it is.

It's firewood. :D being more serious it could be from anywhere in the world which makes it more interesting.

We have drift wood all round the house also in the garden that ours boys collect when on holiday. We buy cheap pictures on the carboot throw the pics away then glue gun the drift wood around the frame put family pics in them and send them to family for birthdays etc.

You have some interesting peices there. :)

Last edited:
Hi Lindy,
Like rocks it is very difficult to tell from a photo.
The large stump might be cherry, looks to be fine grained on the cut end so likely a hard-wood, and therefore prob ok.
re the other bits; some of them seem to have an inner core which I suspect will go soft and spongy if you put them in a bucket of water for a few days. (mine did:thumbdown:).

You'll also likely find it takes a while for the salt to leach out - my beach wood has got salt crystals on the emersed part, so I use a sprayer prior to water change.
cheers phil

This thread is supposed to be in Aquascaping forum :meh: Ended up posting 3 times as I could see it not appearing on the right forum.... Hoping Darrel might know what it is..

Hard to know tbh .... I have access to great looking rocks but worried in case they are limestone or just not suitable. I would try a piece of the wood in a bit of water and test the water for PH swings etc over a few days
And if you put some Daphnia in with it, you will find out if it releases anything toxic.

Hi all,
The big piece does not look like it has been in the sea for long at all.It looks very much like a fruit tree like apple, the lower branch has been trimmed
I agree with the other posters, The stump does look a like a fruit tree, and quite newly chopped down, so it might need a while to get rid of all the sap, but it won't be toxic. I'd expect the sap wood to rot eventually.
re the other bits; some of them seem to have an inner core which I suspect will go soft and spongy if you put them in a bucket of water for a few days. (mine did).
You'll also likely find it takes a while for the salt to leach out - my beach wood has got salt crystals on the emersed part, so I use a sprayer prior to water change.
I've found the same with drift wood I've picked up, but some of it has lasted well once all the salt has leached out.

cheers Darrel

, The stump does look a like a fruit tree, and quite newly chopped down, so it might need a while to get rid of all the sap,

I was planning to cut off the trunk section and just use the root part. The wood looks like it was cut some time ago(the wood is very dry/not sappy) but was only in the sea a very short time, if at all, because there is still dried soil packed in to gaps underneath. I'm thinking someone has dumped some garden refuse on the beach.

It's firewood
That is my fall back plan, put it in the stove :happy:

I'll start soaking it and see what happens..:nailbiting:

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back