• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1000L needing upgrades

dougstar

this is my 1000l and theses are my measurements
200cm L
62cmW
75cmH
hardwear
i have two finnex 7000k led fittings over the top, two 300plh cascade internals filters.
theer is pressurized co2 coming out of two defuses and an ehiem 300 watt heater
in the cupboard the sump is
150cmL 50cm W 55cmH
iv got a 5000lph ref octopus pump and one ehiem 300 watt heater
there is 80L filter medium (ceramic noodles and open cell sponge)

what i would like is to get the plants growing in the sub straight. i need to get better flow to start
also need new sub straight. at the moment i have pool filter sand in and not very deep.
originally i had discus in there and set it up for them. i have since put in angels.
any help will go a long way
doug
14988265314_241e98e229_b.jpg
15524743919_f13ba58ba3_b.jpg
15590607195_4202764ecb_b.jpg

hey thanx colin just a bit board i guess and need a change, been like that for two years:angelic:

Well , I think you can build on what you currently have. I can picture heavy planting to the left and right keeping the arch as a focal.?

was thinking of buy x10 bags f foulrite dark = 70L
change the internals filter to 600lph???????
not sure putiing in larger amounts of ferts will hurt my pocket!

was thinking of buy x10 bags f foulrite dark = 70L
change the internals filter to 600lph???????
not sure putiing in larger amounts of ferts will hurt my pocket!
aquatic compost and akadama or pea gravel over the top not the prettiest but cheap and plants love it.

if you're looking to save cash soil is the way forward, you could also use your sand as a cap but smaller gravel of your choice preferred

Now correct me I'm wrong dirt can get messy ? And has a lifespan. ? Changing the substrate will be a rather large job and if I only have to do it once all the better. my main concern is fertiliser. The amount will be huge. Other thing it will be £600 if I want to double my light. Resigned Myself to using decent sub.

That's a fantastic piece of driftwood!

Decide on a budget first.
Flourite dark: definitely look & feel before buying, also it can release LOTS of dust, for a long time (some bags are much less dusty) so it may not be the best substrate if you like to change up things frequently or if you have substrate diggers ... Carib Sea's EcoComplete is much less dusty & "softer" to the touch (I'd use a substrate additive such as Tropica Growth Substrate underneath, especially with swords, crypts, aponogetons etc).

Troi has done an excellent tutorial on soil substrates, there's also a nice series of photos of a soil mineralization process (sorry couldn't find it again).

You might also consider the output of your Fiinnex lights & how that will impact plant choice (75cm depth will impact most light systems).

You can likely utilize well grown otocinclus as algae crew & depending on your angels, some adult amano shrimp (females are a good 2 inch & don't intimidate easily) - get in a decent sized group of both/either (eg 10 -12 otos, at least 20 amano when you introduce these to the tank).

You might also grow out some plants as Wabi-Kusa & add these to the tank to test out various plant types (check out the Emersed Forum & Journals)

A propagator to increase plant population is a good (economic) idea with a tank of this size.

Have you thought about aquascape designs - I'd only plant maybe 40% to start (islands, back zone or whatever).

If you want to stay "low light", you still have multible choises of plant; Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus quadricostatus, Echinodorus tenellus 'green', Limnophila sessiliflora, all the Microsorum, all the Anubias, most of the Cryptocorynes, most of the Vallisneria, Taxiphyllim barbieri........just to mention what comes to mind immediately. Those will thrive without added pressurized CO2, too.
Most of those are relatively slow growers - especially in lower light - which also mean they will use less fertilizers, than faster growing plants, which sounds benefitial in your case. Generally speaking most "things" in your tank is much easier to control with a little less light and slower growth.........you just need to choose the right/suitable plants for this, and need primarily to nvest in some more patience, while waiting for plants to grow :)
- go ahead....you have endless possibilities of building on to your current, nice tank. Maybe do it in steps, as economy allows........

Okay iv done some window shopping, seachem flourite ill try and stay away from, don't like the idea of lots of dust. I have six clown loaches in there and they are about 6cm at the moment. The potential for them to get 20cm is great also they are diggers.
craib sea is available in 9kg bags. So if I buy 10 bags I would have 8cm depth (black). do we know what the life span of the caib sea is?
unfortunately not all products are available her in sa but we get the basics
the wood was epic to get in the tank still have scratches on the ceiling from getting it in there ;) do not wont to get rid of it. there is a concern it casts large shadows, i have it in the back 1/3 of the tank so grown plants will be the best option for the back of the tank. i have loads of these amazon swords adult plants in a pond outside
large-leaf-amazon-sword-1266458659-300.jpg

im sure that will work? but the also cast large shodows. i guess i need to setup a nursery to grow some low maintenance plants nice and big

thought id share some cool stuff happening in my tank:)
16926338731_3ea62eee38_c.jpg
16304893704_a015527d39_c.jpg

16739591778_54ef93cba1_c.jpg
16901381116_0e8c8642a3_c.jpg
16739870680_03f447207b_c.jpg

im sure more flow will eliminate the algea on the aubias, confirmation from you guys the experts will be great
its hard and if i scratch it wit my nail it flakes off. with three pairs of breeding angels my ottos and ansistres not getting up cleaning them

Back