• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

assasin snails any disadvantages?

Great video. Now that's a serious trumpet snail problem lol it's only my carpet plants they uproot and only when I replant them because they tend to grow over each other. Once rooted they don't uproot them. I have another tank without trumpets and my gloss stays rooted. I think it's just the sheer amount of trumpets but I think you may have solved my problem. I just don't have any bottom feeders at all. It's not that I can see any uneaten food but there must be small amounts for the trumpets to multiply so much. Maybe I should get a small group of Corys to help mop up any small amount of food left. Great tip cheers.

Any sort of efficient bottom feeders outcompetes them.
I just snapped a short video of one of my tanks to show you. I've got cherry shrimp, khuli loaches and ottos in there. I just fed them so the shrimp have piled up on the food. I introduced 3 types of snails about 3 years ago in there. There's none to be seen, not trumpets any way. There are a couple of ramshorns surviving. The trumpets got no chance with that crew, lol.
I've got another with corys and a pleco, same story, trumpets are not easily seen around. At least I've got to look around properly to see any coming out ever.

I wish that was the case for me. I've got no food whatsoever going into the tank other that for the plants. ( plant only tank at the moment) I've aquired snails via plants a few weeks ago now I have hundreds of snails everywhere. I'm even finding snail eggs.

Must be melting plants and garenteed unvisible algae mate as you say, They are very tiny snails, as small as the fresh water mussels I have which I quite like. I've not decided what's going in the tank yet fish or shrimp it's only 60 ltr.

I've trumpets and ramshorns in mine. If I wanted to have an assassin snail or two would that be ok, or would the assassins wipe out everything? I was just thinking to have something to keep the rest of the snails' numbers in check - or shouldn't I bother and the rest will reach some kind of equilibrium of their own?

Hi,

Like LondonDragon, I like my snails in my tank. If you want Assassin snails solely for reducing the numbers of snails then I wouldn't bother with them. Not because they can't necessarily do the job, but you can do better. Firstly don't over feed, snails are scavengers so they will eat whatever left over food they can get the mouths on. You can try baiting them at night, especially for the Trumpet Snails. You can do this by placing some algae tablets or a slice of cucumber when the lights are off. The snails should crowd around that area and you can simply remove them by hand.

Well I don't think I have too many, it was more to ask if assasins will actually kill/eat all of them or will some kind of balance be achieved...

If they'd stayed with two it defo will take some time before they'd eaten them all / there would be a balance. When you've got two genders or a fertilized female there will be babies and then the other snail will be wiped out . I started with one which appeared to be a fertilized female. Think I have 100 now and sold about 200 now hahaha. Regards Aad

Well I don't think I have too many, it was more to ask if assasins will actually kill/eat all of them or will some kind of balance be achieved...

Yes, balance can be achieved once the snails don't get excessive food. If they keep multiplying out of proportion, it's time to think about how much and what you are feeding or where they get their food from. Excessive amount of snails is just a sign that something is not right in the balance of the tank.

Hmm have to really think about it. I like my snails and don't have over population, was thinking about getting an assassin or two just to add in and have them "live off" and in balance with the remainder but if there's a risk they'll end up eating everything not so sure anymore. Thinking about getting nerites instead :)

Back