• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

He t5 longlast

Ghosty

hello there fish people

I'm looking at buying two

Ge t5 longlast 6500k 865

But have heard the produce a lot of par, will they be to much for a 240l juwel Rio
I can't seem to find any other bulbs in my price range I refuse to spend 30 quid on two juwel highlife day/nature, would buy arcadias but also not paying 15 quid a bulb the ge I can get for 2£

Cheers

hello there fish people

I'm looking at buying two

Ge t5 longlast 6500k 865

But have heard the produce a lot of par, will they be to much for a 240l juwel Rio
I can't seem to find any other bulbs in my price range I refuse to spend 30 quid on two juwel highlife day/nature, would buy arcadias but also not paying 15 quid a bulb the ge I can get for 2£

Cheers

Hi Ghosty,

They are brilliant t5s, I used them in my chocolate puddle journal and the colour they give off is perfect. As long as your co2 levels, flow and ferts are at the correct levels you've nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there Alastair

I'm setting up a new 50g, and am going to be using soil, so ferts are fine, as for flow, the juwel Rio comes with a 600lph filter so I'm adding a 1000lph power head with dity spray bar

Due to the filter being in the right back of the tank, I will be using a spray bar on the left side of the tank pushing towards the right, would this be enoughy flow? Or should I order a stronger power head ?

ohhhhh your right
Ge t5 54w is 1149mm
Juwel is 1047mm
That's crap, I can't afford the price tag for those bulbs, 1.03 cm to long for the Ge, surley I can retro fit the juwel lighting system

This is silly now, I keep hitting hurdles

So my only options now are to eiether retrofit the light unit, by a cm, or spend a fortune on bulbs

Surely I can squeeze the bulbs in, if not how did you do it, is it just snap the bulb clips on one end away fro the unit and soldering or welding them back at the desired distance

Hello there again big clown
I might a critical mistake, the person selling me then aquarium just decided to inform me that the lighting system is.
38w t8 twin
So now I have to replace the whole light ballast
Would I be able to cut the juwel light unit out and fix a Hagen goo twin 54w t5 system in and seal it back up with some heavy duty silicon? then zip type the new t5 end caps to the old t8 end caps?

beware of the uv light degrading the plastic zip ties. I dont think the hagen ballast will fit in the jewel light unit but the rest is possible.
just to point out all this will cost more than just buying juwel or arcadia tubes
just replace them when the tubes fail.
cant you get 865 tubes that are t8

Yh for 30quid I can get the proper juwel day and nature, but I'm looking to have a Pygmy chain sword carpet and I don't think the t8s will supply enough light to do this, I less I add reflectors maybe,
I can get ge longlast bulbs t5 for 3 quid each so antenna for two plus pnp
Hagen glo twin t5 ballast 35 quid
By the time IV replaced two juwel bulbs twice the t5 ballast paid for itself plus replacment bulbs are not limited to juwels stupid bulb lengths
What do you think

Edited

Last edited:
The cheapest t8 I found was 3mm to long would I be able to fit this into a 1047mm juwel fixture or am I limted to the juwel bulbs

Well it would be a strain of 1.5mm, maybe I can file down a little of the metal pins on each? but then again the vibrations more then likely would shatter the bulbs, and yes right now I can afford 30quid price tag juwel want for the two bulbs but in the futur theist wil be differant

As I can get a twin t5 ballast for 30 pd quid and two t5 he longlast for 10 quid including pnp
So for an extra 10 quid I get t5

What do you reckon the best option is

Right just checked on blt lighting were I can get the cheap ge bulbs and a ballast is 17 quid, then going over the interned adding single core cable, plus then 4 water proof end caps, equals more then a Hagen glo

But will be able to fit into the juwel lighting box, I jphavent a clue what my best option is, I thought I was getting a bargain getting a juwel 240 for 150 but have blow my 150 budget by
100£ lol

if you use the hagen ballast, i think the leads are long enough to put it in the cabinet.

pros for t8 no work needed, tank should be easier to keep algae free
cons not as much light and tubes more expensive

pros for t5 more light. cheaper tubes
cons tubes and ballast need fitting, expense(buying ballast, tubes mountings , etc.), the more light you have the faster things can go wrong

Alage shouldn't be a problem, I have a lot of plants coming in, a lot of swords and hydros, plus a god amount ps Sagittarius sub, plus my bn pleco

Just trying to make this whole thing cost effective and buying 30 quid of bulbs see,s a lot compared to me spending an upfront cost with the added bonus of a vaster market of bulbs

Do you reckon I could perhaps cut the old juwel light unit out cutting the bottom of the juwel light housing and then using some uber strong inside were juwel out there ballsy and attach the end caps together,?

Btw I'm a tradesman so I have a van full or random crap also a shed full so I'm sure I can sort it,

you would be better off going in through the top if you can it will be easier to seal it back up when you're finished and less likely to get condensation inside if you don't manage to seal it 100%
being a tradesman you should be able to do a decent conversion its up to you. I only changed my lamp holders because they broke and I couldn't find replacements at the time

Maybe your right going in through top would be an option, I suppose it all depends on how big the Hagen is I may just remove the whole juwel lighting system, and keep only enough plastic of the housing to maintain the Canopus structure, and attach the Hagen as it wouldn't need to be sealed, I could silicon any hole in the Hagen ballast to make it water tight, and attach it with some burn in adhesive, that way no one will know,

Just seems more cost effective to have the ability to have the option of t5s and t5ho, so when I decide to go high tech I have the option to up the bulbs to t5ho, instead of using juwel t8s

The diy conversion will be in my journal witch will start as of Tuesday,, thank you for the help b,clown

All ne sure to mention you and others in the journal

:D

Back