• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank - A few questions

aaron.c

Hi All

I have a Fluval Edge 23litre tank that I intend to set up as a shrimp only low tech planted tank.

I had a few questions and wondered if you guys could impart some wisdom :)

I have a spare Cristal Profi 701 filter - rated at 700LPH. Is this going to be total overkill for the Fluval Edge? The flow rate can be adjusted, and I can pack it out with media.

I also have a spare CO2 regulator and diffuser. I am wondering if it is worth injecting CO2, even in a low tech tank, or if I am just going to add lots of work for no real benefit. I am not planning to upgrade the stock lighting.

Thanks in advance
Aaron

The jbl e701 will be around 300 lp/h in normal conditions. I have a 15 liter nano low tech, with no co2 and no headaches .
I only use a cheap Chinese hob filter that does about 90 lp/h. Will upgrade sooner or later to an eheim and would recommend you the same.

If you can adjust the flow on the fliter, it's not over kill.

CO2 (Carbon) will always benefit plants. If you have low lighting, you could just dose excel/easycarbo.

Thanks Guys.

The more I think about it, the more I am veering away from injected CO2. Seems like a potential headache without a huge benefit.

Aaron

It depends on your light. If you start to see signs of CO2 deficiency (yellowing leafs, holes etc), this will tell you that there is not enough available.

If you are low light, then adding CO2/liquid carbon will be of limited benefit as plant will not be able to make use of it with the light levels provided.

Some shrimps are more CO2 tolerant than others. However, I personally would not use CO2 or liquid carbon in a 'low tech planted tank with shrimps in mind" containing only 23 ltr.

Some people are successful with it. But for me the risk outways the benefits.

Moss with shrimps works well.

Thanks, great feedback. It would be so hard to measure out safe dose of Excel for a 23litre tank.

It would be so hard to measure out safe dose of Excel for a 23litre tank.
You either measure it using a syringe, you need about 0.5ml or less for 23l tank. Or dilute Excel down with distilled water eg 5ml Excel + 100ml water and dose an easier to measure 10ml using a bigger syringe.

I am veering away from injected CO2. Seems like a potential headache without a huge benefit.

This is why Tropica offers the System 60 :)
- I'd choose this over liquid carbon with shrimp, even with the (relatively) low light of the Fluval Edge your plants will appreciate some additional CO2 ... if you do want more plant options, the Spec 19 litre seems to do better (local shop has loads of both on display).

Back