• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

silver flying fox/crossocheilus reticulatus

greenmac75

Hi folks, having trouble with BBA on my wood and LFS recommended silver flying fox.

Wondering if anybody has kept them with cherry shrimp?

Cheers Stephen

Mine never touched it and fox's grew into plant eating and demolishing monsters. They ate and uprooted my HC and scoffed any new leaves from Glosso leaving just stalks. Once they had gone normal plant growing resumed.

However Otto's did eat dead BBA killed with Excel. They don't touch BBA too much when black and alive.

Cheers Ian, I'm spot treating with excel but my ottos don't touch it.

There are reports of red nose shrimp eating BBA, so you can always try a group of them ... of course, as with many shrimp, you may receive any species of long nosed shrimp upon ordering ;)

LFS recommended silver flying fox
If the fish rare tiny & the shop agrees to take them back (assuming you can recapture!) then you might try them

i`ve kept at least a pair of flying foxes for years,and have never known them damage plants.they will nibble on bba,but don`t expect miracles.
be sure to get siamese....not chinese

Genuine Flying Foxes display problems as they age on the other hand the genuine Siamese Algae Eater do the job and very non dominant or aggressive in my experience. Clean as much algae off as you can firstly any new growth they will eat

Thanks for the answers, but I was more worried about keeping them with my shrimp.

I'm just a first time co2 user and ran into problems, got new filter and going to have spray bar the length of the tank as advised by ceg(clive) and see if flow is my problem.

I have a few Amano shrimp in metre long tank not aware of any losses and there is a SAE in there but,Red cherries are rather small and vunerable when shedding, and have I have only kept them with small fish as they would be a tasty morsel for anything of size.Lack of CO2 flow around all areas is a cause of BBA and thread algaes rather than lack of CO2,read about it many times on here.

Just to clarify.
It's sae's....you want,which are sometimes labelled siamese flying foxes.

Back