• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami Gloaming #4

tried to upload better pic but they're all terrible. Tank is still cloudy too from my fiddling.

It's quite different now with small branches on top.
BTW, someone on ukaps said that he was using floating ring from air pump tube to keep floating plants on place.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQzwiq2N6bOSPg-aMyomBU-X3k-no2mFC1ayYK-3ew37-f1gZ4NQ.jpg

I think I'm going to take the teratec ex1200 off this tank and replace with the eheim ecco 200. The teratec is too powerful and I've reduced the flow by a fair amount but that cannot be good for the motor long term. Either that or i get one of the smaller thermofilters.
Added some Anubias and put in some of my liquorice gourami.

Nduli ph holding at 5.1. I am going to order eheims plastic lily pipe thing that attaches to the end of a standard outlet to see if that changes anything. The outlet at the moment is a large spraybar with the holes drilled bigger so the water doesn't 'jet' out the hole but the shear volume means the plants are doing a vigorous 'jig' in full flow and I'm sure this contributes to surface scum.

What type of surface scum?
Nduli ph holding at 5.1. I am going to order eheims plastic lily pipe thing that attaches to the end of a standard outlet to see if that changes anything. The outlet at the moment is a large spraybar with the holes drilled bigger so the water doesn't 'jet' out the hole but the shear volume means the plants are doing a vigorous 'jig' in full flow and I'm sure this contributes to surface scum.

Lindy, how are you getting the ph so low, had a quick look through last 5 pages of the journal and I think it's pond soil but can you confirm? Saw some choccos at the weekend and they looked fantastic....so tempted.

I'm filtering through peat. I've also got chemicals i use called 'ph down' used in hydroponics. The liquorice gourami did fine with this.
This will be last post as gourami gloaming as have decided to get channa andrao. The paros will have to come back into the fish room.

Never went down the channa path.
Inhabitants are a couple of choccos, some paros, ottos and betta simplex.
ab6e919297526fdf57dfd9b6d648bf1f.jpg

Using an eheim plastic lily outlet which allows me to have lots of undisturbed floaters.
Took wire mounts off the lights and have them resting on the glass as i got fed up with the glare from the light when sitting next to the tank.

Nice one Lindy, looking good, have you got any more pics of the different fish in there?

Was on top of a ladder getting ready to paint the ceiling when i looked down on the tank from a great height and thought how nice it looked. Warning!!! Crap phone pics to follow

This room is a dumping ground at tge mo...
0361e4dc6fb13b61407e26656a9e3d79.jpg

5fe8ac3fd5eebe757f965753ad79ac6c.jpg

daf1f9cf6711d28081c3873d252329d3.jpg

72f32d4cd70cb84be8e51832247473ae.jpg

ea8404b8ce196f52da2d24daa2e87b92.jpg

26d15c358e31d36e8b9455c4f1b17592.jpg

Fish hiding at the back as I'd turned the lights up to take pics.
cb036f3967913a707a5107733306ec2d.jpg

Something has gone wrong with the tank as the crypts and echinodorus haven't really grown. I have a persistent film on the surface and an air stone hasn't helped. I have bba on the wood.

I want to rescape the tank but will wait until we have sold house and have moved as the fish are happy and doing well.
I thought there might be too much light and had lots of floaters but made no difference to film so reduced floaters and dimmed lights to 50% or thereabouts but still got a film and plants not really growing (apart from java fern and anubias.
When i rescape will use less wood and more rock and have less wood high up towards the light as this is where i get bba...

Back