• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

I do. It actually momentary lowering ORP, so, I can use more ozone then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

Something just occurred to me: could the "regular" twinstar (nano) be detrimental to shrimps?
I'm thinking this because I have a thriving tank in every aspect except I can't get Red Cherry Shrimp to reproduce. I've bred them before and they even reproduce in a bucket of water left outside in the winter, and on this tank in 6 months they berried once and had no offspring. Adding this to the fact that Twinstar retails a "shrimp" version, could this be the reason for my unsuccessful attempts?

Hello everyone,

Something just occurred to me: could the "regular" twinstar (nano) be detrimental to shrimps?
I'm thinking this because I have a thriving tank in every aspect except I can't get Red Cherry Shrimp to reproduce. I've bred them before and they even reproduce in a bucket of water left outside in the winter, and on this tank in 6 months they berried once and had no offspring. Adding this to the fact that Twinstar retails a "shrimp" version, could this be the reason for my unsuccessful attempts?

considering the thing isn't remotely "required," best way to find out is to turn it off I would think

Hi all. I have literally just registered on the site as I have read this whole Twinstar Nano thread from page 1 to page 31!! (Bit of bedtime reading over the past few days).

Anyway, the reason is I have recently set up a new 200l planted tank after my last tank sprung a leak. I used this as an excuse to purchase a new tank ; )

Needless to say, I have a serious algae bloom going on (week 4/5 since set up). There isn't any visible algae so to speak, but the water is a cloudy green and it's been like this for two weeks. Because of the size of the new tank it has unfortunately had to go where there is a lot of light which I think has contributed. I have now installed some blinds to reduce this (the things we do eh?) but as you can appreciate I have been searching online for other help which is when I came across the Twinstar.

Now aplogies for the long post but i'm thinking there may be others like me in the same predicament and wondering about the twinstar. Like others have said there isn'the much info out there, but I am now satisfied it works by using electrolysis and not ozone and have today decided to take an educated gamble and buy one.

I know some here will say they are not necessary but if it helps with tank cleanliness I think it may be worth it.

The reason I am posting is that i shared a lot of the valid opinions here about how it works and also the price/aesthetics of it. I found a new edition from twinstar Portugal (though I went through their ebay rather than site as it was slightly cheaper) which seems to address some of the issues. There is the Nano 2 and Nano Plus (which I opted for as it was £20 more and has 3 settings instead of 2). The cable is now inline and the design is much more pleasing to the eye. They even have a nice cradle which you get free but I won't be able to use thus on my tank. The price has also come down. The Nano 2 (up to 200l) is £98 & free postage.

I am in no way advertising it as I am yet to use it, but if like me you are thinking of it (let's face it, who else would be reading this old thread) and like me considered the cheaper version (chihiros doctor), then I thought thus may help.

I would be happy to report back after I receive it and have it set up for a while. I am thinking of taking some before, during & after photos if anyone is interested in feedback.

Anyway, wish me luck. If anyone has any advice for my algae bloom in the meantime I would be very grateful.

Luck!...from what I can gather it's not necessarily an algae panacea but an aid to good husbandry...then again it may help anyway...either way thanks for an update on what many consider a controversial peace of planted tank paraphernalia...

but the water is a cloudy green and it's been like this for two weeks.
Turn your lights down, your tank is telling you, you have far too much light, probably killing your plants and producing prime algae food.

His all. Thanks for the replies. Troi - I used the word luck with regards to my new tank and the fact I am new to planted aquaria. I did mention the cheaper Chihiros but I thought the improvements to the twinstar made it more appealing.

I have been keeping fish for a number of years and the only fish I have are two black widow tetras that are now 7 yrs old and 3 corys that are 5. Unfortunately I had a sudden disaster with my tank which forced me to quickly set up my new tank and wait for the water to be safe enough for the boys lol.

I appreciate that good housekeeping is essential, but I thought any help is welcome if the device works.

Ian_m - Thank you, I have for the past week reduced lighting time and reduced direct sunlight to the tank as much as possible. I am doing more regular water changes so just wanted a helping hand to keep on top of things. Appreciate your comments and help guys. I know it's controversial, just wanted to share my thoughts on it as I know I struggled to find info on it, and this forum was a big help.

Now i've gone the planted route, I also hope to read more threads on here for advice.

Well I just found this. Think I'll definitely be getting one.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, as I've never tried it (never had a need)... BUT I don't trust an experiment done by the manufacturer to be independent at all. For all you know it's like big pharma, and this is the 20th test they've done. Or, possibly much more simple, they've just fiddled the results. Not saying that is the case, but whether you're a believer or not, I don't think this removes any of the controversy.

its also pretty strange how they only do this test years after they actually started selling the product. How did they know it works and they weren't just conning people o_O

Sorry I should have mentioned spent a while reading up about them and peoples reviews, I'm not just basing my decision entirely on that link I posted.

You have to take a gamble on things now and then, I'm confident that this one will pay off, but at the same time realize that it could all be a placebo.

just bear in mind this may be at work :p

anyways, I don't think I've actually ever seen someone suffer from buying a twinstar, so as long as you're not giving up evening meals for it it's not going to do any harm (at least, no more than test kits!)

Received a Twinstar mini MKii today from Portugal; unsurprisingly it has a transformer with a European plug (slight oversight), are they available with a UK plug or can I just use a European to UK adaptor, and if so will this be OK, as in will it still work and not damage the unit?

Thanks Stu, the input is 100-240v so I'm guessing this is ok, and yep it's from Twinstar Portugal via eBay.
edit: just noticed my OP should read NANO not MINI

Last edited:
Back