• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jubilee Creek

Schalk

Seedling
Hellooo!

This will be my first journal on this site although I have been stalking the journals for years now!

Anyhow! On to the tank! Its a very simple lowtech tank with a bunch of slow growers and Its my only aquarium at this stage in time. The name comes from one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I have visited it a few times and have done a 8 day hike in the surrounding mountains as well and my wife and i returned to it last year on our honeymoon and since then I just had moss and ferns on my mind and wanted to create something that reminded me of it!

Dimensions: 80cm x 45cm wide and 50cm high.
4 x 24w t5's but I'm blocking out some light.
Ferts all Seachem: Flourish, potassium, excel and nitrogen.
No pressurised Co2 on this tank.
Ada Amazonia New

Plants: Mini Java Fern, Tennelus, Quadricostatus, Christmas Moss, Vallis Nana and some Crypts.

I'm still looking for a few more Crypts to break the green and mybe some Pinatifida in there somewhere as well! Oh and the carpet must obviously fill the whole front aswell. Please excuse the horrible photography from my side!

The start of this tank, 25 December 2014
16512014556_431dfa8838_c.jpgIMG_1605 by SchalkVan, on Flickr

What the tank looks like today, 15 February 2015
15915327074_55126da26f_c.jpgIMG_1613 by SchalkVan, on Flickr

16536859352_b3cd076e9b_c.jpgIMG_1612 by SchalkVan, on Flickr

15917769373_735255ca0e_c.jpgIMG_1611 by SchalkVan, on Flickr

16538015345_98ef5f1cc5_c.jpgIMG_1610 by SchalkVan, on Flickr

Its doing good for a lowtech but I might add Co2 in the near future but I'm still in two minds about it.

Regards

Schalk

Ok so small update.

Looks like I might add pressurized co2 after all. I'm doing a very basic co2 setup like the one on this forum using a regulator intended for disposable welding cylinders. I am however not using the disposable cylinders as they are very expensive in my country. I am a cnc programmer and have access to cnc lathes and 4 axis cnc milling machines. I machined an adapter to fit the reg on a paintball cylinder. I replaced the pin valve on the cylinder to one with a on/off valve that you can open and close. you get these valves with a gauge to tell you how full the cylinder is but no one had stock. I will be buying another cylinder when I can find a valve with a gauge and then use this one as a backup only.

Now the only thing left to do is fit a decent needle valve. Thinking about getting the SMC needle valve from Co2 art, they are supposed to be very good and then I might add a inline solenoid at a later stage.

16450214279_ed61f52cb0_c.jpgBuilding a new mini pressurized Co2 system. by SchalkVan, on Flickr

16456217979_0a13581dc6_c.jpgPaintball thread in adapter by SchalkVan, on Flickr

16435108187_fcc477acb9_c.jpgPaintball thread in adapter by SchalkVan, on Flickr

16021722294_f08bc369d2_c.jpgWith some black paint by SchalkVan, on Flickr

I think it looks pretty nice. The adapter was machined from 316 stainless steel but I decided to spray it black. I feel it looks better with everything like that.

Regards

Schalk

Well done!

You may need to consider the operating pressure that will be "hitting" the needle valve as it comes out from your regulator, definitely talk with CO2Art rather than just ordering.

Back