• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New set up

Trebor127

I have finally got round to purchasing a new stand to stand an aquarium which I bought about 6 months ago. I currently have a juwel rio 125 but have never been totally happy with it as I like the open tank look.

I bought a 100x40x50 rimless tank off ebay and have just purchased a Fluval Roma stand in oak to sit it on. I was going to make a cabinet (got a price for a local joiner and he wanted £500!) but I thought i'd give it a go for £130. My filtration is going to be a Eheim 2075 pro 3 600 - hopefully this should be enough for the tank. Lighting wise I have got an Arcadia OT2 39W x 4 T5 so definately plenty of light. Co2 will be injected using a JBL solenoid but I need to purchase a fire extinguisher as i am not paying the riduculous price of refils! I will be using the UP deffuser to house it within the s The substrate is going to be ADA amazonia.

One question - The stand does not have cut outs at the side for any pipework so what are peoples opinions of drilling this stand? I have got a few metres of clear tubing. I was hoping to use lily pipe for the aesthetics but I would have to bend the tubing round to get it onto the side so not ideal. Alternatievly, what are other options as I don't want to use the green Eheim attachments as I don't want to see much in the tank which may distract. I have seen clear spray bars but cannot seem to find them any more. Does anyone know where I could purchase lengths of clear plastic tubing that would fit the 16/22 tubing and I could drill it?

Once I start receiving items (I only ordered things yesterday) I will start up a journal.

Sounds like a nice setup!
Depending on where in the side plating you drill I can't see it causing any major problems popping a couple of 22mm holes in there, have you checked that the filter will actually go in through the door? Reason I ask is that I have a Fluval Roma stand for my daughters Fluval Roma90 and the door only allows for objects 185mm or less in width to pass through, a serious problem with the design if you ask me, I am guessing your stand is larger though.

You can get those spray bars many places, check the list of sponsoring retailers, at least one or two of them will have one, I agree with you that clear tubing and glassware looks much nicer than green and plastic, gotta keep it clean to keep it looking nice mind :)

Also, refilling Co2 pressure vessels costs the same whether they be fire extinguishers, plain steel cylinders, aluminium works of art of priceless Japanese lacquered gourds. Just saying.

Good luck with your new tank, looking forward to seeing your journal. (must get around to making one myself, maybe one day when I have a tank I'm not embarrassed to show)

It shouldn't be a problem... The filter is only 238mm wide. I'll have a look on a few supporters for the spray bar option so I don't have to drill my cabinet.

Where would fill the jbl cylinder for me?

So long as the door opens up enough for 238mm to move through then. Yes it wouldn't be a problem :) - Check it first before you buy the stand though.

That.. Depends entirely on where you live :) Look in the 'where to buy' section I guess.

my roma stands 90+240 both have enough room at the back to get all pipe work through and fire extingusher

Great. I assumed that most places would only touch FEs and larger canisters....

Rob

Found the spray bars...one question what length would you recommend for the tank of 100cm, I was thinking of getting 2 400mm with one inch pipe in between.

Obviously flow is very important so would I benefit using and additional external filter using a separate spray bar or using a power head with one filter and one long spray bar?

So option 1 - 1 external filter (eheim 2075), 2 400mm spray bar connected together and one power head on back pointing towards front.

Option 2 - 2 filters, 2 separate 400mm spray bars.

Option 3 - additional filter connected by t piece to other filter connected to one inlet and one outlet.

Last edited:
Back