• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying Moss

sonicninja

Hi everyone,
Ive recently passed a milestone and finally got all my plants growing and looking healthy instead of dying! However my java moss is still taking an absolutely beating and mostly consists of brown, dying sections instead of lush green growth. My CO2 is stable and all other parameters consistent.

I have read some people mention that liquid carbon has an adverse affect on mosses, any truth to this? I do dos it regularly too. I have three sections of moss in my tank, all three get different intensities of light and all three suffer from the same 'rot'. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Some pictures would be handy. See my old journal A Shady Glen where I completely nuked all my moss with Flourish excel. If it as bad as it sounds I think you are going to have to remove all of it or as much as you can and start again with new moss after a few 50% water changes to remove any traces of the liquid carbon, I.e. Reset the water column and observe the results.

Cheers Steve

If you use the recommended dose you won't have any problem... And if you do not dose directly on them, of course. Trim them hard and ensure good flow around them, they easily catch algae but the advantage is that if you have your co2 tuned now, you can trim and get back to the start again

Jordi

Thanks everyone. Ive done a water change today and given them a massive trim mostly of which was the dead parts of the plant. The flow round them is good as it is to the rest of the plants in the tank, would i see any adverse effects to not dosing liquid carbon for a week? It seems like a sensible thing to try...?

Thanks everyone. How long should I be expecting for the moss to recover, if indeed it does recover? I'll let you know at the end of the week if it's perked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's been a couple of weeks and the moss is on the rebound. It doesn't look superb but it's definitely an improvement since I stopped dosing liquid carbon. Just thought it worth a mention! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back