• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ohko Ocean, now 'Peaks'

Play with it (in small amounts) & see what you like ... especially once it's underwater & under your lights (which can significantly change the hue of pale sand).
My personal preference is to have one sand dominate & the other accent, rather than a 50:50 mix
The light sand will add strong contrast & brightness to the substrate (no idea how much you intend to plant over) ... if you have fish in mind for this tank, also consider which sand will best set off the fish (generally fish feel more comfortable with darker/dimmer substrates but I think with the amount of rock, you can choose whichever you prefer & fish will be fine)

It's a great rock scape!

I ended up mixing 50/50 Sawawak / La Plata. 1.5 cups of each was more than enough. The new colour is a bit like Nile sand (salt + pepper) with a bit rust mixed in.

As you can see I've had a bit of fun with 'Mt Fuji'. Also raised the the back right peak. This was all designed to resemble the painting more. Some may cringe, but I like it.

The front-left cave is where the scape really diverges from the painting, so I accentuated it by placing sand and rock fragments inside the cave.

I hoped to plant the hc today, but it's too far gone (and out ... JAMC anyone?). Some sort of funky fungi has taken over. Looks like I'll have to chuck the whole tray.

I did a 100% drain, so it's still murky after refilling...

rhrhr_zps1ceb9210.png

I really like this scape!

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment not fit for human consumption. Contains small parts.

Amazing hardscape - best I've seen for a while.

Very impressed with the way you've achieved the look of your initial inspiration picture / idea.

Inspirational!

Best of luck with this buddy, 12 out of 10 for the rock work. Hope this turns out just how you want it ;)

Thanks Rob P!

Hi Edvet, thanks for the advise. The one species idea is sound, but the extreme sides of the scape have me puzzled (particularly the right). I need to cover up the soil. Do I build up the soil and plant hc so it looks like a continuation of the slope of the rocks? Or do I keep the soil level where it is on the sides and plant dhg (and hope there's enough light in that right trench for it to spread). Not wanting to add soil to the sides and mess with the appearance of the rocks (yet) I decided to plant a little dhg down each side. But it could always be pulled. hc down the sides would be murder to trim.

Dantrasy,
I noticed that you used Bio Chem Zorb. This is the first time I heard of it in this forum. Perhaps, you could share your experiences about it in the thread in 'Filtration'.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/index.php?threads/9581/

The way it cleaned up you water when you drowned the rocks was quite impressive. Do you plan to change packets every month or bimonthly? http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=544

There's not much to say really. It works just the same as SeaChem's Purigen, only unlike Purigen it can't be recharged. I only get it because it's readily available in local stores (unlike Purigen). Given the choice I'd prefer rechargeable Purigen.

I only ever use polishing media during initial setup to get the water crystal clear from day 1. The first time I clean my filter (say, in 2 months time) I'll remove the pouch and add some more matrix or something I have on hand.

Gravity defying!
Very unique hardscape and a great concept.

The rock work is amazing, good job! I really can't wait to see the tank when the plants are fully grown.

Back