• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room New Parosphromenus !

Oh and the paro fry have finally got their stripes and look so cute!

1st lot of paro fry are 5.5 weeks old now and look to be around a cm long.

02eb6a68916c3cd68c859e733194a362.jpg

1d96404959febbd36dc27dcf887beac8.jpg

Have had to make another divided tank for the 2 pair of adults as they could see each other through the clear perspex and spent all day trying to intimidate each other. They now have around 27 litres each divided by black perspex that has been scoured by a pot scrubber.

Fry lot no2 have moved into one of the free spaces next to their older siblings.

Thank you Tom. I think the only reason this has been successful is the removal of the fry just before they leave the nest. When any have been left in the parents have eaten them. They also do much better in single pairs as more fish seem to be a distraction. Lastly, 30l seems to be the best size for them as it gives the female enough room to be able to avoid the nest when the male is in guard mode. Guard mode only lasts a couple of days though as I've had them laying eggs while there are fry still hanging in the tube. I now suspect that they did breed in my big tank but that predation was just so great nothing survived.

Thanks edvet, got the proper camera out. Did you get any crazy call outs over christmas? My uncle is a vet and spends christmas with us so we were witness to the call this year, christmas day, from someone who had found fleas on their dog (again). I mean really? :rage:

Turquoise IRL is even better! The tannic water will be fooling the white balance on the camera skewing the colours slightly.

They've got a big shoal of Juveniles in my local Fishkeeper, currently in their CRS tank, I've been tempted but I just don't have the space, shame, love the way they gracefully hover.

crazy call
A few, but all valid. At least not as crazy as the lady who called me on Easter who said she heard a peep from her boiling egg and wondered if there was a live chick in it...........

My oldest fry have been moved into a larger tank to grow on. The paros are 9 weeks and the channoides are 15 weeks.
b1ae31c18cd55572b71d9c8b84875518.jpg

a420d3d9b9a9695d2e139a2c72d5eb73.jpg

bc165118d22a5665fb5e4e6aad0b4a53.jpg

ad113a3f055ad6c4b9cff49cadb10972.jpg

One of the channoides has difficulty swimming. Her tail hangs down in the water as though paralysed but she has control of all her fins. It doesn't stop her feeding though and she uses leaves and wood to 'hop' up on if she wants to get higher in the tank. They all spend most of the time lurking in the wood and leaf litter so she isn't missing out on anything. I'm hoping she recovers as she wasn't always like this.

Last edited:
Back