• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium recommendation

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a new tank after I got rid of my long running Rio 125, and haven't done any scaping for over a year. I not a fan of open top tanks due to the light that bleeds into the room, I have always been a fan of the Juwel range and would like to go to the 240 or 300 size, but it lacks a bit of depth in comparison to the height of the tank.

Is there a better option of aquarium for scaping with a hood on it? Or there there a way to reduce the glare that bleeds into the room?

Thanks
Paulo

HI Paulo,

For aquascaping I would definitely go for open top, as you are dipped in most of the time and the hood will be annoying...

You can get LED or just a sit on top fixture. On my 60 cm I am using 2 x boyu fixtures with 3 x14W T5 each. Plenty of light for any plant (84W in total over 54 litres ) and as it stands only 15 cm above the tank, there is not much light spillage.

And those are cheap lights.

Cheers

Antoni

You can also buy the hood and then make the tank. Its easier for me to make a tank than it is to make a nice hood. I too like closed top tanks just like the traditional Dutch style ones. I also like them quite shallow.

Many thanks guys, I will have a look at the suggestions and see what I can do, might go open top in the end but the missus might divorce me! we will see!! lol

Many thanks guys, I will have a look at the suggestions and see what I can do, might go open top in the end but the missus might divorce me! we will see!! lol
I though the same but as our tank is to the side of us when watching telly it's a bonus. We don't need the lounge lights on:D saves electric tell her. Also depends on your light schedule, in the summer the lights will be off around the time it gets dark.

Many thanks guys :) I will have to have another look, LEDs are expensive and light arms are ugly :p on my Rio I did seat the lumminaires on the rim of the tank, but that was 10-15cm from the water surface due to the rim being high because of the built in light unit that ship with the tanks. on an open top you cant really seat the light on the rim otherwise it will be on top of the water. this gets too complicated!! lol

d96c0929ba7d1348e04e3af48823ce0b.jpg
painfully ugly:D I will be on my hands and knees in the eaves right upto the sofits soon, I will carefully poke a thin electrical screw driver through the ceiling where I want the hooks then if I don't hit a joist I will screw a piece of wood to the joists where the screw driver comes through. I want no distractions from what's within the glass on the next scape.

d96c0929ba7d1348e04e3af48823ce0b.jpg
painfully ugly:D I will be on my hands and knees in the eaves right upto the sofits soon, I will carefully poke a thin electrical screw driver through the ceiling where I want the hooks then if I don't hit a joist I will screw a piece of wood to the joists where the screw driver comes through. I want no distractions from what's within the glass on the next scape.

Hey mate,

The ones supplied with the R420r are suitable to go straight into plasterboard.
Go on, ask me how I know. :p

Oh go on then nat please, I was thinking of the drill a hole larger and use the fan ear type metal spring bolt thingymegigs if I can't squirm through the tat in the eaves to where I need to get. It's got to be good, I don't want a plonked razor.

Back