• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Introducing shrimp query

alex.mooring

My 240 litre tank will next week be getting torn down, fish removed and a new hard scape setup with new equipment etc.

It's hopefully going to be heavily planted from the start and I am wanting to keep shrimp again. I kept shrimp with smaller discus years ago and in this tank I have three Angels that are around 2 years old.

I was wondering if I introduced the shrimps before the fish so they could find their feet and hide etc could I get away with shrimp with Angels as I know they could try eat them??

Thanks

if they survive I doubt you will see the shrimp much as they will be hiding to avoid being breakfast...

I'm not sure which shrimp you are talking about, but amanos would stand the best chance given their size and attitude..

From experience shrimp don't need to fit whole into the mouth of a fish for it to be eaten, just part of it will do! If they are going to end up as prey (if a fish gets lucky enough to catch one that is) it's probably best you use shrimp that can breed in the water so they can replace their numbers if they get unlucky. Cherry shrimp are quite good for this as they are prolific breeders and they also do a very good backstroke when confronted with an overly inquisitive fish.

I've had Amanos and Cherries living peacefully side by side with fullgrown alenque discus, in a 800 l. heavily planted tank, for years.
I then changed the discus for peruvian altum angels (not altum - I know!).........and cherries were hunted down, all gone within a month. The amanos have survived, though - but are really keeping a low profile.
- from long time breeding experience, I would say the common "aquaruim lines" of angels are at least as predatorious......

Thanks for the advice and I don't just want to start killing a load of shrimps for no reason even if amanos would of stood the better chance so maybe I best start a shrimp tank instead haha

Back