• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Stockholm, Sweden

UllavL

Hi all,
I have been searching this forum for a while, admiring all your beautiful tanks and reading up on different topics.

Today, when the thermometer showed -10 degrees outside and I'd cleaned away all Christmas stuff I decided to really start with my new high tech tank.

I had several tanks as a child (and was crappy at maintaining them) and took up the hobby again three years ago with a 180 l tank (which I gave away when I moved). Now I have a 900 l paludarium with an about 160 l aquatic section. The terrestrial section is inhabited by two species of dart frogs, the aquatic section mainly by Green neon tetras, Marbled hatchetfishes and Checkerboard cichlids. I also have a 14 l nano tank. Both of them are low tech so this will be the first time I'm going to try high light, ferts and CO2.

I'm somewhat of a plant crazy person so that's mainly the reason for me wanting to go high tec. And because it's fun to see if I can do it :) I've lots of plants in my low tec tanks but I want to be able to choose more widely.

I'm looking forward to chat with you all, hopefully learn a lot and share my experiences!

Regards,
Ulla

:) I'm a lousy photographer, but here you go! I'll refuse to take close up pictures at the aquatic section, I'm battling (and loosing) against cyano there.
KF3lR9.jpg

YaHyPy.jpg

UR571O.jpg

FqQYnZ.jpg

Looking nice!
For the cyano (BGA) i would consider the following: do a good cleanup of the underwater part, remove as much bad leaves and mulm as possible, do a large waterchange, then do a complete black out for 3 days. I think the emersed plants./paludarium plants should survive, as the frogs will (perhaps give the frogs extra food beforehand). Make sure not a peep of light hits the inside. Then start everything up as a normal day and feed the waterplants (ei method). that should clean it up.

Welcome Ulla! I'm really jealous of your paludarium! You made me put this on my wishlist, amazing :D

Thanks DivZero :) Just get yourself a big aquarium and then a big terrarium. Then make someone fall in love with you and ask you to move in with him. Then make him realise that he can't find two places for your aquarium and terrarium in his appartement. Then tell him that you have a great solution, where you get rid of your aquarium/terrarium and at the same time make wonderful use of the corner in the hall which no one ever use anyway.

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

Thanks DivZero :) Just get yourself a big aquarium and then a big terrarium. Then make someone fall in love with you and ask you to move in with him. Then make him realise that he can't find two places for your aquarium and terrarium in his appartement. Then tell him that you have a great solution, where you get rid of your aquarium/terrarium and at the same time make wonderful use of the corner in the hall which no one ever use anyway.

What a great love story! But I already kind of solved the situation. When I saw your post I showed it to my girlfriend and she loves it. Currently we don't live together but that shouldn't take long. Great thing she wants the same things as I do: big aquaria both salt and fresh water, turtles, tortoise, birds, cats and now a paludarium. I guess all we need now is a big place to live haha :p

Back