• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Still embarrassingly neglected, work is killing me so much so I'm now job hunting as it's not worth it.
Got a quite WC in today but no rock cleaning etc... Twinstars are now off as they haven't made the slightest difference to GSA. Time for old school measures..

Mystery plant is taking on new shape at the surface
9u4uhaja.jpg

Stems growing in well
muqubebe.jpg

All the usual neglect issues.... GSA, wild glosso, few dead spots, BGA starting to pop up, BBA on wood zzzzzzzz
5avuru2y.jpg

well, unfortunately life got in the way of this tank, and scaping in general, so i had to make the decision to take it down. Its a real shame and i think ill revisit the idea sometime but for now a low tech is what is needed....
As such this is now gone and i have put together a very low tech dirt based African Biotope(ish) with lots of anubias, microsorum, crypts and bulbs. So far im loving the lack of time needed for it but the obvious downside being that it will require over a year to reach maturity. Ill begin a journal once I start adding livestock.... the high tech itch will get satisfied in the form of the 60cm being reincarnated in the new year.
Happy Christmas everyone!!

Yep still around mate and poke my head in from time to time to see whats happening. I hope to have a bit more time in the new year for the tanks but that depends on the job situation as decided to see the year out in the current position, start hunting in a few weeks :)

Fantastic scape ... finally got motivated out of lurk mode to say how much I appreciated this even if you've gone elsewhere for now, it was a truly awesome hardscape & well worth re-visiting when you've the time & inclination.

Re the twinstar system, I've recently set up 1 tank with, 1 tank without (yes, longterm tanks that have sat idle for the last year - not even properly broken down :oops: ), it's doing a decent job ... my take on the twinstar is that it's a "stat" not a "cide" so limits rather than destroys - I hate the smell of algae tank water so it's well worth the investment just for that ;) ...not that I'm going out to buy a second system, but as a lazy aquarist, I've no regrets.

Anyway looking forward to your next project journals.

Shame on this one mate, I'm sure you'll bounce back with a high tech of some sort.
Don't forget you've got a whopping high tech in January ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes mate, cant wait to catch up with you all and have a delayed festive bevvie!

Fantastic scape ... finally got motivated out of lurk mode to say how much I appreciated this even if you've gone elsewhere for now, it was a truly awesome hardscape & well worth re-visiting when you've the time & inclination.

Re the twinstar system, I've recently set up 1 tank with, 1 tank without (yes, longterm tanks that have sat idle for the last year - not even properly broken down :oops: ), it's doing a decent job ... my take on the twinstar is that it's a "stat" not a "cide" so limits rather than destroys - I hate the smell of algae tank water so it's well worth the investment just for that ;) ...not that I'm going out to buy a second system, but as a lazy aquarist, I've no regrets.

Anyway looking forward to your next project journals.
thanks alto, thats very kind of you to say, it was very disheartening to fail with this one but such is life....big tanks really are a serious commitment maintenance wise...... which has got me thinking about a 90 for high tech ;)

ill reserve judgement on the twinstar until i try it from the off in my 60... i dont think they are ideally suited to such a big tank and a number of factors that caused the issues in the first place will no doubt of made its job even harder. There is no replacement for good regular maintenance.
Im with you on the BGA water though:sick:

yes mate, cant wait to catch up with you all and have a delayed festive bevvie!

thanks alto, thats very kind of you to say, it was very disheartening to fail with this one but such is life....big tanks really are a serious commitment maintenance wise...... which has got me thinking about a 90 for high tech ;)

ill reserve judgement on the twinstar until i try it from the off in my 60... i dont think they are ideally suited to such a big tank and a number of factors that caused the issues in the first place will no doubt of made its job even harder. There is no replacement for good regular maintenance.
Im with you on the BGA water though:sick:

I've a 90 optiwhite you can have dude. 90 x 50x 45 height. Bivarium polished the lot???

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus
using Tapatalk

Sorry to ask, but what is the plant in the last picture that looks similar to pogo erectus but has the curled leaves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've a 90 optiwhite you can have dude. 90 x 50x 45 height. Bivarium polished the lot???
Sent from my iPhone 6 plus
using Tapatalk

That's a generous and tempting offer pal, will have to think on it... I'd do it tomorrow but the landlord is getting funny about the damp. Easier to blame the fish tanks than the bad insulation and leaking roof!!
Hmmm

Sorry to ask, but what is the plant in the last picture that looks similar to pogo erectus but has the curled leaves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't be sorry :p Think you'll find it on eBay etc as ludwigia tornado, can't remember off hand what they sent it to me as...

Back